Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #56 – Veg Hakka Noodles + Guacamole + Corn Chips
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Veg Hakka Noodles – I have prepared this chow mein in the instant pot pressure cooker but i have also shared stove top method in the blog.Here is the Recipe Link.
Instant Pot Vegetable Hakka Noodles
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
FOR SAUTEEING VEGGIES:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1/2 inch ginger ,minced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion ,finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/2 cup green beans, sliced diagonally
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup colored bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas ,trimmed
- black pepper, salt to taste
FOR INSTANT POT NOODLES:
- 2 tablespoon spring onion(green onion or scallion) ,chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
INSTANT POT METHOD:
FOR SAUTEEING VEGGIES :
- Firstly chop all the vegetables and keep them ready.
- Turn on SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil ,minced ginger and garlic and saute for few seconds .
- Then add all the veggies (onion, carrot, green beans, bell pepper, cabbage, snow peas) ,salt and black pepper powder.
- Stir and saute for 2-3 minutes. Veggies should be almost cooked and remain crunchy but not mushy.
- Once ready turn off the saute mode and remove veggies into a bowl.
MAKING VEG HAKKA NOODLES IN INSTANT POT:
- Add water or veggie broth, sauces like soya sauce ,red chilli sauce ,tomato ketchup, vinegar ,salt (If needed).Stir well.
- Break the noodles(or spaghetti) into half or pieces and spread in the pot.Push the noodles into the liquid.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 4 minutes for aldente.Do QPR (Quick Pressure Release)(do not do the natural release a it will cause the noodles to overcook).If you like it softer noodles, pressure cook for just 5 minutes.
- Stir and separate the noodles, if you any clumps.Carefully stir the noodles and the sauce with the tongs.There is a possibility of some water being left in the pot.But they will get absorbed as you stir the noodles. I did not have any water left.
- Add stir fried veggies, adjust the salt and pepper and mix carefully. Cover with lid and rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle sliced spring onions and sesame seeds just before serving.
HOW TO MAKE VEG HAKKA NOODLES ON STOVE TOP
- Boil veg hakka noodles according to the package directions. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water after they are done cooking.
- Spread noodles on a large flat surface and drizzle some oil, toss so that the noodles get lightly coated with the oil and don’t stick to each other. Keep it aside.
- Heat a large wok or wide bottom pan on medium high heat and add 2 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the minced ginger, garlic and stir until the raw smell of garlic has disappeared.
- Next add all of your veggies, increase the heat to high and saute for 2-3 minutes. Veggies should be almost cooked and remain crunchy but not mushy.
- Once veggies are cooked, reduce heat to medium low and add in the soy sauce, red chili sauce, tomato ketchup, vinegar and sugar. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients together.
- Stir in the boiled noodles and carefully toss the noodles so that they are well coated with the sauce and the veggies.Adjust salt and black pepper.
- Remove from heat, serve hot garnished with sliced spring onions and sesame seeds.
VARIATIONS FOR MAKING VEG HAKKA NOODLES
- Add either crushed black pepper or a few teaspoons of sriracha or schezwan sauce for spicier version.
- You can also use coconut oil or sesame oil for this recipe
- You can add vegetables of your choice like broccoli, mushrooms.
- If you like your noodles more softer, increase water by 1/4 cup.
- You can also cook the vegetables along with noodles, but i like my veggies to be crispy so i stir fry them separately and then add to the cooked noodles.
- This recipe was created using Chings Hakka Noodles.You can also use Barilla Spaghetti.Adjust or experiment water and time for other types of noodles.
TIPS FOR MAKING VEG HAKKA NOODLES:
- Do not overcook noodles as they will turn mushy and soft
- Try to use low sodium soya sauce and if you are looking for gluten-free use Tamari or also Coconut Aminos replaces the soy sauce and it’s the best!
SNACK – Guacamole – In a large bowl, combine the mashed avocados, onion, chilli, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well.Do not add tomato it will release water when stored for long.
SNACK – Corn Chips – Got these store brought corn chips from traders joe.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut veggies for veg chow mein previous day itself.
- Always add lime juice to guacamole else it will turn black
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.