Spicy Masala Makhana or Roasted Phool Makhana Masala is a healthy instant flavoured snack recipe that is made up of makhana(lotus seeds or foxnuts) and few spices in just under 10 minutes.
Phool Makhana, Fox Nuts or Lotus Seeds are loaded with nutrients and are a good source of protein, calcium, and iron.These are good healthy snack for kids and adults.
In India makhana is generally served during the fasting as it contains all the required nutrients during fasting.
WHAT IS MAKHANA?
Makhanas are popularly known as lotus seeds, fox nuts, Euryale ferox, gorgon nuts and phool makhana. It’s actually the puffed lotus seeds or the puffed fox nuts that has high nutritional and medicinal values and mostly grown in states of Bihar in Indian.
HOW MUCH MAKHANA TO EAT IN A DAY?
One to two handful of Makhana should be ok and enough to give you the positive health benefits.
MAKHANA HEALTH BENEFITS:
Makhanas are packed with the goodness of protein, potassium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, iron and zinc. These essential nutrients make this munchy a perfect go to healthy snack.
Here are few health benefits which will convince you to add them to your diet.
- An anti-ageing enzyme in these seeds is said to help repair damaged proteins
- They are low in calories, making them an ideal snack for weight loss.
- Makhanas are recommended for diabetics too due to their low glycemic index.
- They are beneficial to those suffering from high blood pressure, heart diseases and obesity due to their high magnesium and low sodium content.
- Source food.ndtv.com
HOW TO MAKE SPICY MASALA MAKHANA RECIPE STEP BY STEP
How to Roast Phool Makhana:-
Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesnot burn.
To check if they are roasted properly just take one phool makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are perfectly roasted.
Now transfer roasted lotus seeds to a plate and let them cool.
Put the ghee in the same pan on low heat, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala ,black salt and salt ,mix well and switch off the flame.Do not burn the spices.
Add the roasted makhanas and turn on the stove again,Mix well.
Toss them well until the spices are coated well for about 2 minutes.
Let the Makhana cool to room temperature. You can serve this roasted makhana masala right away or store in airtight container for later use.
OTHER HEALTHY SNACK RECIPES
SPICY MASALA MAKHANA RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate
Spicy Masala Makhana Recipe
- How to Roast Makhana:- Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana does not burn.To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly.Now transfer makhanas to a plate and let them cool.
- Put the ghee in the same pan on low heat, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chaat masala ,black salt and salt ,mix well and switch off the flame.Do not burn the spices
- Add the roasted makhanas, mix well and again turn on the stove and sauté it on a low flame for 2 minutes.Toss it well until the spices are coated well.
- Let the Makhana cool to room temperature. You can serve it right away or store in airtight container for later use.
- Adjust the salt and spices according to your preference.
- Do everything in low flame to get the perfect texture and taste .
- You can use your favorite combination of spices as mentioned above.
- Foxnuts are eaten during vrat or fasting.
- If you are making in bulk, do it in batches.
- If you are vegan you can replace ghee with coconut oil or olive oil
- Can be stored in an airtight container for a week at room temperature.If they are exposed to air they get soggy and doesnot taste well.