The Black eyed peas salad (or lobia chaat) is a healthy, protein-packed recipe made with black-eyed peas, chopped veggies, and fresh herbs, all tossed in a bright, Indian-spice lemon dressing. Makes a perfect light lunch or side dish.
Salad is considered one of the healthiest foods in the world. The versatility of salad allows you to create it with any item from your pantry.
Even though you've probably had the traditional vegetable and fruit salad, we've got something new for you today. It is prepared using black-eyed beans, chopped vegetables, and a few Indian spices. The dish is known as a black eyed peas salad or lobia salad. It is easy, quick, and full of protein. All you need is boiled lobia, chopped veggies, lemon juice, olive oil, Indian seasonings like jeera powder, and chaat masala for dressing.
Hold on, there's more exciting stuff we can do with this recipe! It can also be eaten as an Indian-style chaat. All you need to do is add some boiled potatoes, pomegranate kernels, and crispy sev. That's it! So, what's holding you back? Make it the next time you make a salad. Read below for the recipe.
While speaking of the benefits of black beans, they are a great source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants. Besides, they can also help improve digestion, support heart health, and manage blood sugar levels. Plus, they're delicious in a variety of dishes such as curries, stews, salads, and more.
Black Eyed Peas Salad Recipe Ingredients
- Black eyed peas: Also known as lobia. It's readily available in Indian grocery stores, American supermarkets like Safeway, Target, or, on Amazon. You can also use canned black eyed peas.
- Red onions: Red onion adds a bit of sweetness and crunch to the salad.
- Tomatoes: I used de-seeded and diced Roma Tomatoes. Grape or Cherry tomatoes also work well.
- Cucumber: I like to use English or Persian cucumbers for salads. But, you can use any cucumber you like.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice is preferred for this chaat.
- Fresh Herbs: Use fresh coriander and mint leaves. Make sure to chop them just before using them for maximum freshness.
- Roasted Peanuts: I roasted peanuts in the air fryer. You can also use store-bought peanuts. You may substitute it with pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds as well.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for the best flavor.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice is preferred for this salad. You can substitute any type of vinegar, like distilled white, or apple cider vinegar
- Seasoning: roasted cumin powder, chaat masala (optional), salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
How to Make Black Eyed Peas Salad (Lobia Chaat)
Cook Black Eyed Peas
- In Traditional Stovetop Pressure Cooker: Pressure cook the rinsed black-eyed peas and salt with 3 cups of water for 3-4 whistles on medium-low heat. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: I generally cook the black-eyed peas in an Instant Pot as it is very easy and cooks perfectly every time. Pressure cook rinsed lobia, and salt with 3 cups water on High Pressure for 8 minutes on Manual mode and let the pressure release naturally. Here is the detailed recipe for How to Cook Black Eyed Peas in Instant Pot.
- Note: 1 cup of dried black-eyed peas yields 2.5 - 3 cups of boiled black-eyed peas.
Prepare The Dressing
In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, roasted cumin powder, and chaat masala. Whisk to combine.
Assembling the Salad
In a large mixing bowl, add all the salad ingredients, like boiled black eyed peas, veggies like onion, tomato, cucumber, green chilies, herbs, roasted peanuts, and dressing.
Toss gently to combine.
This Lobia Salad is wholesome and can be served as a main for lunch. It is also the perfect snack to enjoy with masala chai or coffee in the evening.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make-Ahead: You can cook black eyed peas, prep the veggies, fresh herbs, and dressing the night before serving. Store the salad ingredients in a separate container for prolonged shelf life, and assemble when you are ready to serve.
- Storage: Leftover lobia salad will last in the refrigerator for 1-2 days when stored in an airtight container or mason jar.
Tips to Make the Best Lobia Salad
- Black Eyed Peas: Use fresh beans for the best taste and texture. The older or aged beans will take more time to cook.
- No-Soak Method: If you do not have time to soak dried black eyed peas, then rinse 2 times and follow the exact cooking instructions.
- Soaking Black Eyed Peas: If you have time, I recommend soaking lobia overnight or for at least 4 hours in hot water. Soaking helps to cook faster and soften them, which makes them easier to digest.
- Cool the lobia before adding them to the salad: Otherwise, warm lobia will wilt the fresh veggies and lose their freshness.
- Use Fresh Herbs: Fresh herbs like mint and coriander add many more flavors.
- Canned Black Eyed Peas: You can also use canned black eyed peas in this recipe. You will need 3 cups of canned peas (that is equal to 2 cans)
- Veggies: You may add boiled potato, boiled sweet potatoes, bell peppers, avocados, raw mango, and more.
- Chutney: You may also add a little mint coriander chutney and sweet tamarind chutney for a kick.
- Other Beans: You can make this chaat/salad with canned or boiled white chickpeas (garbanzo beans), black chickpeas (kala chana), green chickpeas, or kidney beans (rajma).
- Spice Level: Adjust the spice level to your taste after you mix the chaat ingredients. Increase or decrease the spices according to your preference.
More Salad Recipes
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Sprouted Moong Salad
- Kachumber Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Corn Pomegranate Salad
- Cucumber Kosambari
If you’ve tried this healthy black eyed peas salad (lobia chaat) recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Black Eyed Peas Salad (Lobia Chaat)
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ cup cucumber diced
- 1 green chili
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
Cook Black Eyed Peas
- In Traditional Stovetop Pressure Cooker: Pressure cook the rinsed black eyed peas, and salt with 3 cups of water for 3-4 whistles on medium-low heat. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: I generally cook the black eyed peas in an Instant Pot as it is very easy, and cooks perfectly every time. Pressure cook rinsed lobia, and salt with 3 cups water on High Pressure for 8 minutes on Manual mode and let the pressure release naturally.Note: 1 cup of dried black eyed peas yields 2.5 - 3 cups of boiled black eyed peas.
Prepare The Dressing
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients like olive oil, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, roasted cumin powder, and chaat masala. Whisk to combine.
Assembling the Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the salad ingredients, like boiled black eyed peas, veggies like onion, tomato, cucumber, green chilies, herbs, roasted peanuts and dressing.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve Immediately.