Chocolate Phool Makhana recipe is a simple, quick and delicious instant snack where roasted makhana's are tossed in chocolate sauce. Perfect for kids school snack box or as snack with your evening tea .
You can also make this chocolate makhana's from cocoa powder will be posting that recipe soon.
Phool Makhana or fox nut seeds are one of the Indian superfoods and very healthy and nutritious. They taste much like popcorn and can be replacements for popcorn.
Recently a lot of people who are on a diet or weight loss programs are trying these makhana's which are low-calorie snacks. I have also been seeing a variety of makhana snack's in Indian supermarkets these days. So I have been making these snacks at home like makhana chivda, caramel popcorn, spicy masala popcorn, mint(pudina) makhana, and my daughter loves all these varieties.
This Chocolate Makhana is
- Easy, rich & quick
- Healthier school snack for kids in moderation
- Perfect tea time snacks
- Vegan, Vegetarian & gluten free.
How to make Chocolate Makhana
How to Roast Makhana
Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesn't burn.
To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it, if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly. Now transfer makhanas to a plate and let them cool.
Take ¼ cup of chocolate (I used Amul brand) cut into small pieces in a microwave safe bowl.
Then Microwave till the chocolate melts. Took about 2 minutes for me. Take out of the microwave and stir the melted chocolate and add the roasted makhana's
Then mix well until makhanas are coated well with the chocolate. Sprinkle some chopped almonds for the crunch.
Line a baking tray with butter paper. Transfer the chocolate makhana's to it and let it cool for some time. I didn't have time so I refrigerated for 15 minutes and Chocolate makhanas are ready to serve. Enjoy!
- If you wish add other chopped nuts like cashews, pistachios to make it crunchy.
- You can also roll the chocolate makhana's in the cocoa powder in the end or drizzle some chocolate sauce if serving immediately.
- You can also make these chocolate makhana's using unsweetened cocoa powder, butter, and sugar.
- I have used Amul chocolate bar, you can use chocolate chips as well. For healthier options use dark chocolate.
- If you are vegan you can replace ghee with coconut oil or olive oil.
- Make sure to roast makhanas before preparing chocolate makhana. Makhanas should be crispy.
- Do everything in low flame to get the perfect texture and taste.
- If you are making in bulk, do it in batches.
- The chocolate makhana remains good at room temperature in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. If they are exposed to air they get soggy and don't taste well.
More Healthy Snack recipes
- Corn Bhel
- Mexican Style Golgappa with Fruit Pani
- Corn Pakoda
- Airfryer Beetroot Cutlet/Tikki
- Vegetable Rice Cutlet
Chocolate Makhana Recipe
- How to Roast Makhana:- Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesnot burn.To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly.Now transfer makhanas to a plate and let them cool.
- Take ¼ cup of chocolate (i used Amul brand) cut into small pieces in a microwave safe bowl.
- Then Microwave till the chocolate melts.Took about 2 minutes for me.Take out of the microwave and stir the melted chocolate and add the roasted makhana’s.
- Then mix well until makhana’s are coated well with the chocolate.Sprinkle some chopped almonds for the crunch.
- Line a baking tray with a butter paper.Transfer the chocolate makhana’s to it and let it cool for sometime.I dint have time so i refrigerated for 15 minutes and Chocolate Makhana’s are ready to serve.Enjoy!