Dahi ka Tadka also known as Dahi Tikhari, is an easy and simple curry recipe made with yogurt (curd) and spiced tempering in less than 10 minutes. Low carb and keto-friendly. You can serve Dahi tikhari with roti, rice, or parathas.
Dahi means ‘Yogurt’, and tadka means ‘tempering’ (warmed spiced oil). The tempered oil adds zestful of flavors to anything you add.
I first tasted this dish in a Kathiyawadi Rajasthani Dhaba near my hometown in India, and I absolutely loved it with stuffed parathas. It is also known as dahi tikhari, dahi ka tadka or tadke wali dahi.
Dahi Tadka curry is a Low carb or Keto-friendly recipe. If you are on a Keto or Low Carb Diet, check out my Keto Indian Food Recipes Collection.
Make sure to use only fresh greek yogurt (hung yogurt) for this recipe, as greek yogurt is keto-friendly. If you use regular yogurt, the curry doesn't taste that well.
Dahi Ka Tadka Ingredients
Here are the ingredients required to make the dahi tadka recipe at home.
- Curd (Yogurt) - Use full-fat homemade thick/hung curd for the best, creamy flavor. You can also store-bought yogurt. Choose curd that is fresh and not too sour. Plain greek yogurt also works great.
- Tempering (Tadka) – Cumin seeds, dry red chili, curry leaves, garlic, asafoetida (hing), turmeric, and red chili powder.
- Garnish - I used fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing.
How to Make Dahi Tadka
Firstly, Heat oil (or ghee) in a pan on medium flame and add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
Add garlic, curry leaves, dry red chili, hing, and saute for a few seconds till the garlic turns light brown.
Next, add turmeric, red chili powder and mix well. Turn off the gas immediately.
Take hung curd (or greek yogurt) in a bowl and pour the tempering on the yogurt with some salt to taste.
Lastly, mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve spicy dahi ki sabji recipe immediately.
Dahi Tadka Serving Suggestions
Serve spiced curd tadka/tempering recipe as a side dish with paratha, roti (or keto roti), or rice dish.
Store: You can store the leftover tadka dahi in an airtight container for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
Tips & Variations for Spiced Yogurt Curry
- Use fresh yogurt for this dahi tadka recipe, Do not use sour curd.
- You can reduce or omit garlic in this recipe and replace it with extra hing. But I highly recommend adding garlic for the tempering.
More Dahi (Yogurt) Recipes
Other Keto/Low-Carb Curry Recipes
If you’ve tried this dahi tadka recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Dahi Tadka Recipe (Spiced Yogurt Curry)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup greek yogurt (hung curd)
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli
- a pinch hing (asafetida)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add garlic, curry leaves, dry red chili, hing and saute for few seconds till the garlic turns light brown in color.
- Next add turmeric, red chili powder and mix well. Turn of the gas immediately.
- Take greek yogurt in a bowl and pour the tempering on the yogurt with some salt to taste.
- Lastly, mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tips & Variations
- Use fresh yogurt for this recipe, Do not use sour curd.
- You can reduce or omit garlic in this recipe and replace it with extra hing. But I highly recommend adding garlic for the tempering
I tried making this recipe tonight. Was quick and super tasty😍
Bhavana Patil says
Thank you Sabila for your feedback, Glad you liked it. 🙂
This was really very lovely, quick and healthy.Thank you for sharing this recipe.I will definitely use your site again and commend you to my family and friends 👍
Bhavana Patil says
Wow,this comment made my day, thank you so much again.