Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #23 - Chole Paratha + Onion Raita + Mixed Fruits
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Chole Paratha - Here the Chole Paratha Detailed Recipe Link
Chole Paratha Recipe (Chickpea Paratha)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup cooked chana|chole|chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon chana masala or garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder or lime juice (optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to (cook parathas)
- Take whole wheat flour in a bowl. Add salt and 1 teaspoon of oil. Add water and knead to a soft dough. Keep aside for 15 minutes until you make chana filling.
- Take boiled chana in a bowl [Make sure there is no extra water] and mash it with a potato masher or with the back of a spoon.
- Add coriander leaves, ajwain, red chili powder, garam or chole masala, turmeric powder, amchur powder, and salt. Mix well. Adjust if required.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls.
- Take one ball and roll it into a small circular disc. Put about 2 tablespoon of the stuffing over it. Fold the edges and seal them—dust with some dry flour and roll the ball into a big circle.
- Heat a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.
- Once you see bubbles, flip to the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Chole paratha recipe with curd, pickle, raita, ketchup, or any gravy of your choice.
- The chole should be cook in such a way that it should be soft but not mushy. Once the pressure is released, if there is excess water in the chole, drain water fully and then mash the chole.
- You can use canned chickpea as well.
- You can add finely chopped mint (pudina) for extra flavor.
SNACK - Onion Raita - simple mix yogurt with salt, red chili powder, roasted cumin (jeera) powder and add in the finely chopped onion. Mix well. Pack this in a separate container with a leak-proof lid. Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
SNACK - Mixed Fruits - I added a few pomegranate arils and cut apples into heart shapes using a cookie cutter.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare the dough at night and refrigerate it in an airtight container.
- You can soak chole for 6-8 hours the previous day and boil channa in the previous night and refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes for your kids, they are toxic.
- For the soft chapati, it is important to cover the dough and set it aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Adding a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.