INSTANT POT Bisibelebath|Hot Lentil Rice
It is a very popular breakfast/lunch recipe from Karnataka(South India). In kannada, bisi means hot, bele means lentil and bath means rice. It is a wholesome and nutrition packed one pot meal made with rice, lentils and mixed vegetables. It tastes amazing when served with Kara bhoondi ,potato chips or papad.
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
You can also try my other INSTANT POT recipes like
INSTANT POT Bisibelebath Video Recipe
For more such videos subscribe to our Youtube Channel
INSTANT POT Bisibelebath Recipe Card
- measuring cup used ,1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup,Rice (i used short grained sonamasuri)
- 3/4 cup Toor dal/spilt pigeon peas
- 1 medium sized, Onion
- 2.5 cups,Mixed vegetables (I used,carrot,beans, peas,potato and bell pepper/capsicum)
- 2 tablespoon,Tamarind Extract (2 tablespoon of tamarind water extracted from soaking small lemon size tamarind).
- 6 cups,Water
- 3 tablespoon,Bisibelebath Powder (I used MTR brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon,Jaggery
- 2 tablespoon,Cilantro/coriander leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon,oil
- 1 teaspoon,Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon,cumin/jeera seeds
- 1 sprig,Curry leaves
- a pinch,Asafoetida/hing
- 1/2 teaspoon,Turmeric powder/haldi
- (This is optional)
- 1 tablespoon,Ghee (can use oil also)
- 2,Dry chillies
- Chop all the vegetables and onion.Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water. Extract pulp and keep aside.
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it's hot add mustard seeds,cumin,curry leaves,let it splutter.
- Add onions,Saute for 2-3 minutes until they turn soft and light brown in color - stir regularly.
- Add mix vegetables and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add bisibelebath powder,turmeric powder,tamarind extract,salt.
- Keep stirring else mixture may get burnt.
- Add washed toor dal(lentils), rice,water,jaggery and give a stir .
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 8 minutes
- Do a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR) (Wait until silver button on lid drops).BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Remove lid away from you,garnish with Cilantro.
- Mix well.I like my bisibelebath to be mushy and liquid consistency.
- Turn on the SAUTE mode again,add 1/2-1 cup of water (depending on your preference).
- Boil for 2-3 minutes.Bisibelebath is ready.Add tempering again its completely optional.
- Serve with Kara bhoondi ,potato chips or papad.
- 1.Instead of using oil for tempering, you can use ghee, vegans can avoid it.
- 2.You can use vegetables of your choice like Drumstick,Brinjal,sweet potato.
- 3.If you don’t have bisibelebath powder you can replace with 2 tablespoon of sambhar powder and 1 tablespoon of vangibath powder.
- 4.If tamarind is not available you can replace with tomatoes.
- measuring cup used ,1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 teaspoon,Channa dal
- 2 teaspoon,Urad dal
- 2 teaspoon,Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon,Cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon,Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon,Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon,Mustard Seeds
- 5-6(for color),Kashmiri Dry Chillies
- 3-4(For Spiceness),Dry Chillies
- 1 teaspoon,Peppercorns
- 1 inch,Cinnamon stick
- 4,Green Cardamom
- Curry leaves - few
- 2 tablespoon,Dessicated Coconut
- Dry Roast all the ingredients except dessicated coconut on low flame till spices are aromatic.
- Turn off the flame and add the coconut .
- Blend the mixture to a fine powder.Store it in a air tight container.