Instant Pot Green Beans: Learn how to steam fresh green beans perfectly every time in the pressure cooker! Seasoned with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice, it's a delicious healthy side dish.
If you looking for a healthy side dish for your next meal, try these Instant Pot Green Beans, they are crispy-tender and so delicious. I am sure you won't be making green beans any other way.
Green Beans (or string beans) vegetable are low in calories, rich in fiber, full of antioxidants, and high in vitamins K, C, and A. They have several other health benefits.
These are so easy and quick to make and take only 15 minutes. We love to season with some salt and pepper. You can also toss them with the seasoning as per your liking. I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT.
Why Steam Green Beans in an Instant Pot?
- Quick, Ready in less than 15 minutes.
- Tender & flavorful.
- It helps to retain nutrients.
- You can cook them fresh, frozen, and canned.
- It can be served as a healthy side dish or with other mains.
- Steamed green beans are made without any oil, making them low in calories, fat, and carbs.
- Green beans: I used fresh organic green beans in this recipe. You may also use frozen ones.
- Water: It is necessary to bring the cooker to pressure for cooking the green beans.
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, fresh lime juice for seasoning, optional
How to Steam Green Beans in Instant Pot
Prepare Green Beans:
Rinse green beans, drain well, and trim off the ends.
Place green beans in Instant Pot:
Pour 1 cup of water into a 6-quart pressure cooker (1.5 cups water for 8-quart). Place the steamer basket with green beans in the instant pot insert.
Steam green beans in the instant pot:
Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing.
For crisp-tender green beans, set the pressure cook time (high pressure) to 0 minutes.
For softer green beans, set the pressure cook time (high pressure) for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on how soft you want your green beans.
When the instant pot beeps, Do a quick release of pressure.
Remove green beans from Instant Pot and season as desired.
What to serve with Green Beans
Most often, I enjoy steamed green beans as a healthy side dish. Before I serve, I season it with salt, pepper, and a big squeeze of lime juice.
Green Beans Seasonings
While steamed beans are great on their own with a little salt and black pepper. Here are a few more ways to season them, Just add and stir them together!
- Butter, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Butter, minced garlic, salt, pepper, juice, and zest of lemon.
- Olive oil, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and pepper (or red chili flakes).
- Saute with some onion, ginger, and garlic to make crispy Asian-style stir fry.
How to Store them?
Store: You can store the leftover steamed green beans in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat: You can reheat it in the microwave or skillet until warm.
Tips on perfectly Steamed Green Beans
- You can easily double or triple this recipe, but cook on high pressure for 1 minute instead of zero minutes.
- Make sure to do a Quick Release as soon as the cooking time ends, to avoid over-cooked green beans.
- Feel free to saute the steamed green beans with a bit of butter or olive oil, salt, pepper, juice, and the zest of lemon.
- You can use frozen or canned green beans in this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Most frozen green beans are usually partially cooked, so you don't need to change the time. Follow the same instructions and season in the end. You do not have to thaw the frozen green beans.
Yes! Canned green beans are fully cooked and need a shorter cook time. So you can follow the same instructions and time.
If you don't have a steamer basket, Place the metal trivet in the instant pot insert and then arrange green beans on top.
If you don't have a trivet, then place the beans directly in the water and cook. I would recommend adding ¼ cup of water instead of 1 cup. Once done, drain the water and season.
More Green Beans Recipes
- Roasted Green Beans
- Green Beans & Potato Sabzi
- Carrot Green Beans Stir Fry
- Quinoa Fried Rice
- Vegetable Hakka Noodles
- Vegetable Biryani
More Instant Pot Basic Series
- How to Boil Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Instant Pot Cauliflower
- Cook Chickpeas (Soak & No-Soak Method)
- How to Cook Beets
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
Checkout the complete guide on Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables from my blog.
If you’ve tried this easy instant pot green beans recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Instant Pot Green Beans
Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250ml
- ½ pound fresh green beans
- 1 cup water for steaming
- salt, pepper, fresh lime for seasoning, optional
- Prepare Green Beans: Rinse green beans, drain well, and trim off the ends.
- Place green beans in instant pot: Pour 1 cup of water into a 6-quart pressure cooker (1.5 cups water for 8-quart). Place the steamer basket with green beans in the instant pot insert.
- Steam green beans in the instant pot: Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing. For crisp-tender green beans, set the pressure cook time (high pressure) to 0 minutes.For softer green beans, set the pressure cook time (high pressure) for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on how soft you want your green beans.When the instant pot beeps, Do a quick release of pressure.
- Season: Remove green beans from Instant Pot and season as desired.