This Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts recipe is quick, easy, and ready to enjoy in minutes. You can make it with either fresh or frozen Brussel sprouts. Enjoy it as a side, or part of a main. Vegan, Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, and Paleo-friendly.
Why steam Brussel Sprouts in an Instant Pot?
- Quick, It cooks in just 10 minutes.
- Tender & flavorful.
- can be served as a healthy side dish or with other mains.
- You can cook them fresh or frozen.
- Steamed brussels sprouts are made without any oil, making them low in calories, fat, and carbs.
- Brussels Sprouts: Choose that are bright green and fairly firm. You can use fresh or frozen brussels sprouts using this Instant Pot method. If using frozen, leave them whole.
- Oil: toss the sprouts in olive oil or any cooking oil. Butter is also a great option, it adds the right richness.
- Garlic: minced garlic is a great way to add flavor.
- Salt & pepper: To season the sprouts.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice adds a tangy flavor to the dish.
- Water: It is necessary to bring the cooker to pressure for cooking the Brussel sprouts.
How to Cook Brussels Sprouts in Instant Pot
Prepare the fresh Brussels sprouts by trimming their hard stems and cutting each sprout into half using a sharp knife.
Pour 1 cup of water into the instant pot insert. Place the Brussel sprouts on the steamer basket.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to the SEALING position.
Pressure cook on High for 1 minute (Texture: mildly crisp), – 2 minutes (Texture: soft & tender), then Quick Release.
Then add olive oil, minced garlic, and saute for a few seconds.
Next, add steamed Brussels sprouts, salt, pepper, lime juice and gently toss for a minute.
Top with a little Parmesan if you desire, and enjoy! Serve Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts with your favorite main dish.
Can I use Frozen Brussel Sprouts in the Instant Pot?
Yes, absolutely! frozen brussels sprouts are already soft, so Pressure Cook on High for 0 minutes followed by Quick Release, and season the sprouts at the end.
Once seasoned, steamed brussels sprouts pair well with many dishes. Serve it as a healthy side dish with a bowl of soup or pasta.
Storage + Reheating
Brussels sprouts taste best when served immediately after cooking, however, leftovers will last for up to 3 days when you store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
You can reheat it on the stovetop, air fryer, or microwave until warm.
- Choose fresh & bright green heads that are similar in size.
- Trim and halve the brussels sprouts so that they cook evenly.
- If you are not vegan, toss Brussels sprouts with butter, making it more flavorful.
We love these brussels sprouts seasoned with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and lime juice, here are other ways to add flavor to the sprouts
- Toss with butter (or olive oil), garlic, and grated Parmesan cheese
- Toss with a splash of balsamic vinegar glaze and maple syrup
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and zest
- Add fresh herbs like chives or parsley if desired
- Saute with some onion, ginger, and garlic to make Asian-style stir fry.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts Sabzi
- Air Fryer Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts Stir Fry with Fresh Coconut
More Instant Pot Basic Series
- How to Boil Potatoes in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Cook Chickpeas (Soak & No-Soak Method)
- Instant Pot Basmati Rice
- One Minute Quinoa
- How to Cook Beets
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
- Prepare the fresh Brussels sprouts by trimming their hard stems and cutting each sprout into half using a sharp knife.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the instant pot insert. Place the Brussel sprouts on the steamer basket.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to the SEALING position.Pressure cook on High for 1 minute (Texture: mildly crisp), – 2 minutes (Texture: soft & tender), then Quick Release.
- Then add olive oil, minced garlic, and saute for a few seconds.
- Next add steamed Brussels sprouts, salt, pepper, lime juice and gently toss for a minute.
- Top with a little Parmesan if you desire and enjoy!. Serve Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts with your favorite main dish.