Boiling or Steaming Potatoes in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is fast and easy! It comes out perfectly every time and can be used to make dishes, such as Potato Masala for Dosa, Spicy Potato Sandwich, and mashed potatoes.
Cooking time mainly depends on the size and the variety of potatoes.
Potatoes are one of our fav vegetables at home, and we can make so many recipes out of them. I used to use Traditional Stovetop Pressure Cooker to boil the potatoes earlier, I had to track the number of whistles, if you forgot to count, a lot of times either potatoes would be undercooked or overcooked.
Since I have been using Instant pot for boiling potatoes, my life has been so easy because you get perfectly cooked potatoes based on the size and variety and with zero monitoring.
Looking for more Indian Potatoes Recipes?
What to do with leftover boiled Potatoes?
Boiled potatoes are used for cooking a variety of Indian dishes. I usually boil a big batch of potatoes and store them in the refrigerator as part of meal prep. After that, I majorly use it for cooking.
Potato Masala for Dosa
Aloo Paratha (Potato Flatbread)
You can also use it for mashed potatoes, potato salad, etc.
How to Boil/Steam Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Firstly wash and clean the potatoes with water. Next, add water into the instant pot insert. Place the trivet and then arrange the potatoes. I have used extra-large Russet Potatoes (9 oz each) here.
Furthermore, close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to the SEALING position. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and timer to
3 minutes for diced potatoes,1 inch OR
5 minutes for small/baby potatoes OR
6 minutes for medium potatoes OR
10 minutes for large potatoes OR
12 minutes for extra-large potatoes
Once the instant pot beeps, Wait for the pressure to release naturally and then open the lid. Check the doneness of potatoes by inserting a knife or fork in the center.
Peel the skin and use it right away or store it without peeling in the refrigerator for later use.
Note: These times mentioned will result in perfectly cooked/boiled potatoes. If you want the potatoes more soft and mushy, add two more minutes of pressure cooking.
Trivet accessory usually comes with the Instant Pot when you purchase and is designed to keep ingredients out of the water. I suggest cooking or steaming large potatoes with the trivet because cooking in the water will alter the texture and taste.
However, you can boil the small/baby potatoes or diced potatoes in water without the trivet.
Boiled Potatoes without peeling skin can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More Instant Pot Basic Series
- Steamed Broccoli
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes
- How to Cook Beets
- Cook Chickpeas (Soak & No-Soak Method)
- One Minute Quinoa
How To Boil Potatoes in Instant Pot
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 3 extra large Russet Potatoes
- 1 cup Water
Instant Pot Method:
- Firstly wash and clean the potatoes with water.Add water into the instant pot insert.Place the trivet and then arrange the potatoes.I have used extra-large Russet Potatoes here.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) andSet timer to 3 minutes for diced potatoes ,1 inch ORSet timer to 5 minute for small/baby potatoes ORSet timer to 6 minute for medium potatoes ORSet timer to 10 minute for large potatoes ORSet timer to 12 minute for extra-large potatoes OR
- Once the instant pot beeps, Wait for the pressure to release naturally and then open the lid.Check the doneness of potatoes by inserting a knife or fork in the center.
- Peel the skin and use right away Or store without peeling in the refrigerator for later use.
Other Recipe Collections to Try from my blog
- 60+ Kids Healthy Lunch Box Recipes
- 25+ Instant Pot Indian Rice Recipes
- 10+ best Veg Sandwich Recipes Indian Style
- 40+ Keto Indian Food Recipes
- 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes