This Vegetarian Minestrone Soup is an easy, healthy, and full of flavor soup recipe combining vegetables, beans, and pasta made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker or stovetop and is an Olive Garden Copycat. Gets done in under 30 minutes and can be easily made vegan and gluten-free!
During the fall and winter months when the weather turns cool, soup is one of my go-to comfort food. You can make it the way you like it with the available vegetables, beans, and pasta. It’s SO delicious, I promise you!!
This Minestrone Soup
- is a vegetarian instant pot soup!
- ready in under 30 minutes
- filling and satisfying, yet packed with healthy vegetables and beans
- vegan and gluten-free
I’ve made this both on the stovetop and Instant Pot, and I prefer the Instant Pot version. I feel like the flavors infuse well together more quickly when pressure cooked and it saves the same.
Minestrone Soup Ingredients
- Fresh Veggies: You can also use seasonal veggies or whatever you have on hand like celery, carrots, zucchini, yellow onion, spinach, garlic, parsley. Other veggies that go well are green beans, potatoes, squash, yellow zucchini, kale.
- Beans: You can use any canned beans you have on hand – red kidney beans, white kidney beans(cannellini), northern beans. Chickpeas will also work. In this recipe I pre-cooked the kidney beans in the instant pot. Soak the beans insufficient hot water for 2 hours and cook them for 25 minutes at high pressure in the instant pot. Then used them in this recipe.
- Pasta: I have used shell pasta here but you may use elbow macaroni or any small pasta. You can use gluten-free if you’d like.
- Diced tomatoes: I have used fresh diced tomatoes in this recipe. But you can also use one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes which is about 2 cups.
- Tomato Sauce: To make the soup thicker and tomato-based I have used store brought one 8 oz can of tomato sauce which is about 1 cup. But you can either skip it or just blanch & puree 2 tomatoes and then add.
- Vegetable Broth: Try using low sodium store brought vegetable broth or simply use water.
- Dried herbs: I have used dried Italian seasoning or you can also use a mix of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme
- Parmesan, for serving (skip if vegan) and use nutritional yeast instead.
The best part about this vegetarian minestrone soup recipe is it's so versatile! Traditionally minestrone is a little on the thicker side but again you adjust as per your preference and taste.
How to make Minestrone Soup in Instant Pot
Firstly, press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot add minced garlic and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes till onions soften.
Add the diced carrot, celery, zucchini, and diced tomatoes, tomato sauce into the pot. Then add in the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Next, add in the pasta, canned or cooked red kidney beans, vegetable broth, or water. Stir it all up.
Furthermore, close the lid on the pot, set the instant pot to "MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK" (High Pressure) for 6 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release (QR). Open the lid.
Add in the baby spinach, Stir for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.
You can adjust the consistency by adding more vegetable stock at this stage.
Lastly, sprinkle some fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese (skip if vegan) into the soup. If you are a vegan you can sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
Serve pressure cooker minestrone soup hot with garlic bread.
Stovetop Pot Method
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute garlic and onion till onions turn soft. Then add carrots and celery. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, canned kidney beans, and seasonings, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes on medium-low flame.
- Stir in the zucchini, spinach, and pasta, and cook for another 8 or so minutes until the pasta is al dente.
Is Minestrone Vegan & Gluten Free?
Yes. This Italian minestrone soup recipe is vegan just serve with vegan parmesan or skip. You can also replace cheese with nutritional yeast. Use gluten-free pasta or skip the pasta.
How long can you store in the refrigerator?
Can be stored in airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Can Minestrone be frozen?
Yes, This homemade minestrone soup freezes well and can be frozen for up to three months. My suggestion is to freeze without the spinach then add it at the last minute when you warm it back up.
Before freezing, allow the soup to cool completely and then portion the soup into zip lock freezer bags or freezer-safe containers. To thaw, transfer the containers to the refrigerator and thaw for at least 24 hours.
If you make this recipe, Don't forget to leave feedback. You might also like my other soups made in a pressure cooker
- Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Vegetable Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Green Lentil Soup
Checkout my 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes you must try.
Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 medium zucchini halved and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 4 medium tomatoes diced OR 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes, do not drain (about 2 cups)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce (about 1 cup)
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained & rinsed (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup shell pasta or elbow macaroni
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth OR 32 ounce Vegetable Broth Low sodium OR water
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese freshly grated, optional
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped, optional
Instant Pot Method:
- Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot add minced garlic and onion.Saute for 2-3 minutes till onions soften.
- Add the diced carrot, celery, zucchini and diced tomatoes, tomato sauce into the pot.Add in the italian seasoning, paprika ,salt and pepper.
- Add in the pasta, canned or cooked red kidney beans and vegetable broth or water. Stir it all up.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.Set the instant pot to “MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK” (High Pressure) for 6 minutes.When the instant pot beeps, Quick Release(QR). Open the lid.
- Add in the baby spinach, Stir for 2 minutes until the leaves wilt.You can adjust the consistency by adding more vegetable stock at this stage.
- Sprinkle some fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese (make sure it’s vegetarian) to the soup to enhance the taste of the soup. If you are a vegan you can add nutritional yeast on top.
- Serve Minestrone Soup hot with garlic bread.
Stovetop Pot Method:
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute garlic and onion till onions turn soft.Then add carrots and celery.saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes,tomato sauce ,vegetable broth, canned kidney beans and seasonings, cover and cook for about 15 minutes on medium low flame.
- Stir in the zucchini, spinach and pasta, and cook for another 8 or so minutes until the pasta is al dente.
- Sprinkle some fresh parsley ,grated parmesan cheese and serve hot with garlic bread
Serve olive garden minestrone soup with the rustic garlic bread or pizza Is Minestrone Vegan & Gluten Free?
Yes. This Italian minestrone soup is vegan just serve with vegan parmesan or skip.You can also replace cheese with nutritional yeast.Use a gluten-free pasta or skip pasta. How long can you store Minestrone Soup in the refrigerator?
Can be stored in airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Can Minestrone be frozen?
Yes, minestrone soup freezes well and can be frozen up to three months.My suggestion is to freeze without the spinach then add it at the last minute when you warm it back up. Before freezing, allow the soup to cool completely and then portion the soup into zip lock freezer bags or freezer safe containers.To thaw, transfer the containers to the refrigerator and thaw at least 24 hours. Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.