Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is a delicious and comforting soup recipe made with fresh tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper, onion, basil and garnished with cream, and served with crunchy croutons makes a perfect lunch!
Tomato soups are generally served as an appetizer in India and can be served warm or cold. Tomato soup is quite popular around the world and has different variations. This creamy tomato soup is our family favorite soup and is so easy to make in a pressure cooker.
Toppings for Tomato Soup!
- Fresh basil
- Bread croutons
- Shredded Cheese – Parmesan, Cheddar, Mozzarella
- Any combination from above
Ingredients for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Carrots, Red bell pepper, Onions, Garlic: These veggies can be diced or finely chopped.
- Diced tomatoes: I have used fresh tomatoes and diced them. You can also use canned fire-roasted tomatoes to enhance the flavor.
- Butter or olive oil: use unsalted butter or olive oil for an even healthier soup.
- Vegetable broth or water: use low sodium vegetable broth to reduce salt content otherwise you can use water.
- Basil: you can use either 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2-3 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped.
How to Make Best Tomato Soup in Instant Pot
Firstly, press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add butter or oil and once it’s hot add Bay Leaf and minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Next add onions and saute until they soften.
Then add diced carrots, red bell pepper, diced tomatoes, water or vegetable stock, black pepper powder and salt. The reason i have added carrot in this recipe is for the creamy texture, bright colour it brings and for the sweet taste.
Red bell pepper gives a nice smoky flavor and color to the soup. But it's optional. You can also use celery for this recipe.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn the pressure valve to SEALING position. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and timer to 6 minutes.OR for STOVETOP, Cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
Remove Bay leaf and puree the soup using a hand blender until smooth. If you don’t have a hand blender, puree in a blender in batches once slightly cooled. Then I usually sieve the puree and discard the residue but it's totally optional.
Add dried basil, black pepper powder, heavy cream, or milk or half and a half and stir well. It is entirely up to you which of these three you want to use just remember that the higher the fat content, the creamier the soup. Adjust seasoning.
If you think soup is too thick, you can add water or milk into the soup and boil for 2 minutes.
Serve this Instant pot cream of tomato soup hot and top with bread croutons and a drizzle of heavy cream.
Stovetop Pot Method
- Follow the same steps as above for STOVETOP, instead of pressure cooking here we have to cover the pot and simmer until the tomatoes and other vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes and blend.
What do you eat with Tomato Soup?
If you are on a weight loss goal or you ran out of cream don't worry! You can still enjoy a bowl of this Tomato Soup to warm you!
You can substitute the heavy cream for milk, almond milk, coconut milk, or even just vegetable broth. You can also whisk in 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch to water and add it to soup, in the end, to add more body to the soup.
Vegan Tomato Soup
To make a Vegan cream of tomato soup recipe, replace the milk/heavy cream with coconut, almond, or cashew milk/cream.
Can you Freeze Tomato Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup assuming that you followed my directions. I would recommend freezing the tomato and broth puree, then when you are reheating it stir in the milk or cream.
Once soup cools down then transfer into freezer-resistant containers or Ziploc freezer bags and can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Just an important note here. Add dairy(cream or milk) just before serving. Soup with dairy does not freeze well.
If your Tomatoes are too Tart
I have made this recipe with heavy cream which is optional. Sometimes the tomatoes can be very tart (depending on the variety) so the addition of extra cream or ½ teaspoon of sugar can help smooth out the flavor.
Looking for more Instant Pot Soup Recipes?
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Lentil Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Vegetable Lentil Quinoa Soup
- Sweet Corn Soup
If you love Soups and looking for more Instant Pot Soup Recipes? Then here are my 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes you must try.
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 5 large Tomatoes (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 large Carrot diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ medium Red bell pepper diced (about ½ cup)
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Olive oil
- 1 Bay Leaf (optional)
- 2 Teaspoon Dried basil or 2 tablespoon of fresh basil chopped
- Salt + Black pepper powder to taste
- 2 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup Heavy cream or milk or half and half
- few Bread croutons
- extra Cream
Instant Pot Method:
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add butter or oil and once it’s hot add Bay Leaf and minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Next add onions and saute until they soften.
- Add diced carrots ,red bell pepper ,diced tomatoes ,water or vegetable stock, black pepper powder and salt.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 6 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid.
- Remove Bay leaf and puree soup using a hand blender until smooth.If you don’t have a hand blender ,puree in a blender in batches once slightly cooled.Then i usually sieve the puree but its totally optional.
- Add dried basil, black pepper powder ,heavy cream or milk or half and half and stir well.It is entirely up to you which of these three you want to use just remember that the higher the fat content, the creamier the soup.
- If you think soup is too thick ,you can add water or milk into soup and boil for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot and top with croutons and a drizzle of heavy cream.
Stovetop Pot Method:
- Follow the same steps as above for STOVE TOP ,instead of pressure cooking here we have to cover the pot and simmer until the tomatoes and other vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes and blend.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.