This healthy Avocado Tomato Onion Cucumber Salad recipe is light, fresh, and ready in minutes! Good side dish for pot lucks or summer picnics and is Vegetarian + Vegan + Whole30 + Paleo + Keto.
It’s really easy to make this avocado salad. It’s just a matter of chopping up your veggies and tossing them together in a bowl. Salads like this one and my Cucumber Salad with Greek Dressing are easy to whip up and don’t require any cooking, and come together in 15 minutes.
I also like to add canned or cooked chickpeas and mixed greens to this salad to make it more healthy and protein-rich. Check my favorite Chickpea Cucumber Salad from my blog.
Why You Will Love Avocado Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Ready in 10 minutes.
- Quick & easy to make
- Refreshingly light & delicious
- Perfect for summer potlucks, parties, and barbecues
- vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb.
Ingredients for Avocado Salad Recipe
- Avocado: Be sure to use a good quality ripe avocado but not a mushy or too firm texture for this recipe. I have used 1 Hass Avocado.
- Cucumber: Choose cucumbers with low-seed or seedless variety. I like to use English cucumber for this recipe. Persian cucumbers work too.
- Tomatoes: Grape or cherry tomatoes are my favorite, but diced regular, or Roma tomatoes also work well. They add sweetness and acidity to the dish.
- Onion: red onion works best in salads, so that’s what I used. If you don't like it, feel free to substitute green onions instead.
- Herbs: Fresh Cilantro is a must for this recipe. If you don't have cilantro feel free to use dill leaves, parsley, or basil instead.
- Extra-Virgin Olive oil: a good quality extra virgin olive oil is a must as it brings out flavors.
- Lime juice: Be sure to use fresh lime/lemon juice if you can, which has the best flavor and adds a bit of tang.
- Seasoning: salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
How to Make Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
Chop all your veggies, removing any seeds/skin/stems needed.
In a large serving bowl, Add all the ingredients and toss well until all the ingredients are well combined & seasoned.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Toss again before serving. Enjoy Healthy Avocado Cucumber Salad!
How to Serve Avocado Cucumber Salad
This simple salad makes a great side dish and pairs with any main dish. Few suggested pairings are
- Alongside Soups
- Proteins like grilled Paneer tikka, Tofu
- Roasted Potatoes
- Rice and Black beans
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make-Ahead: You can prep the veggies (except for avocado), herbs, and dressing a day before serving. When you’re ready to serve, cut the avocado and toss the veggies, herbs, and dressing together.
- Storage: This avocado salad is best enjoyed when served fresh. Leftover salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours when stored in an airtight container. After that, avocados will be quite brown.
Tips for the best Avocado Salad
- Use firm, ripe avocados: Choose good quality ripe avocados but not mushy, otherwise, they will get squishy in the salad.
- Cut veggies into the same size: Cutting into the same sizes improves the visual appeal of the salad and also ensures that all the flavors make it into each forkful.
- Prepare with fresh ingredients: Choose fresh ingredients like veggies, herbs, and lime juice for the best flavor.
- Be gentle while tossing the salad: Toss the salad gently with a spoon so that you don't mash the avocados.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Add other vegetables: Try adding other vegetables of your choice, like bell peppers, sweet corn, carrots, olives, green onions or radishes.
- Cheese: Add some crumbed or cubed feta cheese just before serving for a Mediterranean touch. You may also add baby mozzarella.
- Substitute other fresh herbs: If you are not a fan of cilantro, then try other fresh herbs like dill leaves, parsley, basil, or mint.
- Greens: Try adding some greens like romaine lettuce, baby spinach, kale, or arugula.
- Protein: Add ½ of canned or cooked chickpeas for extra protein.
Frequently Asked Questions
Avocado turns brown faster due to oxidization, hence it is recommended to serve this salad fresh. However, you can prep all the veggies, except the avocado, and store them in the refrigerator. Before serving, cut the avocado and toss everything well.
Avocados will oxidize and turn brown when exposed to air. To prevent cut avocados from turning brown, add acids like lemon juice, lime juice, or any kind of vinegar over them.
Yes, you can substitute lime/lemon juice with white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar instead.
Sweet Corn, bell peppers, carrots, and green onions would all be great additions.
More Avocado Recipes
- Avocado Paratha
- Creamy Avocado Pasta
- Avocado Golgappa
- Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Guacamole Sandwich
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
If you are looking for more avocado recipes check out my avocado recipes collection.
More Salad Recipes
- Chickpea Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Boiled Peanut Salad
- Kachumber Salad
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Southwestern Salad with Avocado dressing
If you’ve tried this healthy avocado cucumber tomato salad recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 large ripened avocado diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ english cucumber diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium roma tomato de-seeded & diced (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ¼ cup cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar Or apple cider vinegar ,optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil optional
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop your veggies, removing any seeds/skin/stems needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, Add all the ingredients and toss well until all the ingredients are mixed and well seasoned.
- Cover and refrigerate for at-least 30 minutes. Toss again before serving. Enjoy Healthy Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad!
Tips & Variations
- You can add vegetables of your choices like bell pepper, lettuce.
- Add ½ of cooked or canned chickpeas for extra protein.
- You can also add some baby mozzarella cheese.
Leave a Reply