KIDS LUNCH BOX #35 – Mushroom Fried Rice + Fryums + Orange
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Drumstick Leaves Paratha + Aloo Gobi + Mixed Nuts
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Beetroot Rice + Yogurt + Dates and Nut Ladoo + Cherries
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Mushroom Fried Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link
You can adjust spices for this Mushroom fried rice according to your child’s preference and also you can pair with some yogurt incase they feel the heat.Incase you dont want large mushroom chunks ,chop them small.If your kid doesnt like capsicum ,you can finely chop them and add other vegetables like carrot ,beans etc
Mushroom Fried Rice
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup White mushrooms ,sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive or sesame oil
- 2 large Garlic cloves
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Green chillies ,slit lengthwise
- ½ cup Bell Pepper ,thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon Soya Sauce (adjust to suit your taste)
- 1 teaspoon White Vinegar (optional)
- 1.5 cups Cooked Basmati Rice (½ cup raw rice)
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- Cook the basmati or any kind of rice and allow it to cool completely.If you want you can keep the rice in the refrigerator to get extra firm.
- Also wash and slice the mushrooms and bell pepper.
- In a skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame or olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for 30 secs or until aromatic.
- Then add onions and green chilli and cook about 2 minutes till onions turn soft.
- Then add sliced mushrooms ,capsicum and stir fry till the vegetables are cooked and tender.The mushrooms will ooze out water, do not worry. It will evaporate in few minutes.
- Then add soy sauce ,vinegar and saute in a high flame stirring regularly without getting burnt.
- Add the cooked rice, salt and ground black pepper to this and gently mix it evenly.Let this be in a low flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle sliced spring onions just before serving.
Variations for Making Mushroom Fried RiceProtein: Add ½ cup of crumbled paneer(cottage cheese) ,scrambled tofu or eggs. Greens: Stir in some spinach leaves or kale towards the end of the cooking time. Spicy: Add either crushed red pepper flakes or a few teaspoons of sriracha or schezwan sauce. Oil: You can also use coconut oil or sesame oil for this recipe Keto: Replace basmati rice with cauliflower rice.You can also add broccoli or edamame for keto diet.
Tips For Making Mushroom Fried Rice
- Make sure the heat is medium-high to high heat while stir frying.
- Don’t cover the pan. This causes the mushrooms to steam.
- Add soya sauce in the end prevents it from absorbing too much into the mushrooms and making it too mushy.
- Try to use low sodium soya sauce and if you are looking for gluten-free use Tamari or also Coconut Aminos replaces the soy sauce and it’s the best!
SNACK – Fryums – These are store brought fryums which i deep fried.My daughter loves these.
SNACK – Orange– I peel the orange before packing to the lunch box.You can use any seasonal fruits.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can fry fryums previous evening itself.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.