This flavorful rice is prepared using South Indian Chutney powder also known as milagai podi, gun powder, idli podi, dosa podi , molagai podi etc. This is a good lunch box option for both kids and adults and can be prepared with fresh or left over rice under 30 minutes.
WHAT IS MILAGAI/IDLI PODI?
It is a popular side dish to Idli and Dosa together with coconut chutney / sambar. Milagai podi is typically prepared using chana dal, urad dal, red chiles and sesame seeds as main ingredients.Here is how to make Idli Podi at home (Step by Step + Video Recipe).This podi can be made in bulk and can be refrigerated for up to a month in a refrigerator.
HOW TO SERVE MILAGAI/IDLI PODI
- Mix the podi with hot sesame oil or ghee and serve it on the side of idli or dosa.
- You can make street style Spicy Tawa Idli using the Podi [My fav one].
- You can smear it over the dosa while cooking it.
- I like to sprinkle some on bread toasts along with some ghee.
CHECKOUT MORE CHUTNEY POWDER RECIPES
- Peanut chutney powder/shenga chutney pudi(north karnataka style)
- Flax seeds chutney powder
- Fried Gram/Hurigadale Chutney Powder
- Dry Coconut Chutney Powder
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE OTHER RICE RECIPES
MILAGAI PODI RICE(CHUTNEY POWDER RICE) RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Milagai Podi Rice(Chutney Powder Rice)
Measuring cup (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups Cooked Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon Raw Peanuts (Moongphali)
- 1 teaspoon White Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Green Chillies , slit
- 1 medium Onion , finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 3 tablespoon Milagai Podi (Idli Dosa Podi)
- Salt ,to taste
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- Cook the rice and make sure you have cooked rice a few hours earlier or the previous day to have the grains separated out well.
- You can also make Milagai Podi (Idli Podi) at home previous day and keep it ready.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a kadai on medium low flame. Add mustard ,raw peanuts , urad dal and chana dal.Allow the mustard seeds to crackle and the dal and peanuts to get roasted well until it gets a golden brown color.
- Next add the curry leaves, slit green chillies, turmeric powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Now add the finely chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent in color.
- Then add cooked rice , Milagai Podi (Idli Podi) and salt, give it a good stir until all the ingredients have combined well and the rice gets well coated.
- Turn off the heat. Squeeze the lemon juice ,add chopped coriander leaves and give the rice a good stir. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste buds.
- If you a Vegan replace ghee with Oil.
- If you cant make podi at home ,its easily available in Indian Stores or Amazon.I likED GRB Idli Podi that we get in India.
- You can skip onion for this recipe too.
- Adjust Idli Podi according to your preference.
- Idli Podi can be made in bulk and can be refrigerated for up to a month in a refrigerator
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.