Flax Seeds Chutney Powder also known as Agase Chutney Pudi is a super healthy and delicious North Karnataka Style chutney powder prepared using flax seeds, red chili powder, curry leaves, garlic, tamarind ,jaggery and salt.
This recipe is a good way to include omega rich flax seeds in your diet. Healthy side dish for our breakfasts like dosa, idli, jolada rotti, sprinkle it on bread toast, or with hot steamed rice.
Flax seeds are also known as Alsi in Hindi , Agase or Agasi beeja in Kannada, Aviselu in Telugu, jawas in Maharashtra and Gujarat, ali virai in Tamil.
There are different flaxseed chutney pudi recipes in the internet but today i am sharing the recipe that is prepared by my mom.I havn’t used roasted peanuts or channa dal or dry coconut in this recipe but for those do not like the taste of Flax seeds please add it to enhance flavor.In my mom’s place its usually eaten with jowar roti as a side and mixed with oil or curd.
If you are looking for more chutney powder recipes then do check my Peanut chutney powder/shenga chutney pudi(north karnataka style) , Fried gram/hurigadale chutney powder , Gun powder for dosa/idli tawa fry recipes.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF FLAX SEEDS?
- Flax seeds are a rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid ALA. Plant-based ALA fatty acids are proven to have heart health benefits and are linked to a lower risk of stroke.
- Flax Seeds Are Rich in Dietary Fiber and may help in constipation.
- They Are a Rich Source of Lignans – up to 800 times any other plant – Which May Reduce Cancer Risk.
- Flax seeds are a good source of plant-based protein and can be an alternative protein source for people who do not eat meat.
WHOLE OR GROUND FLAXSEED BETTER?
Most nutrition experts recommend ground over whole flaxseed because the ground form is easier to digest. Whole flaxseed may pass through your intestine undigested, which means you won’t get all the benefits.Ground flaxseed should also be refrigerated or frozen for longer shelf life.
HOW TO USE FLAX SEED IN YOUR DIET?
- You can mix the ground flax seeds into cereal, yogurt, oatmeal or smoothies or sprinkle them generously on top of salads.
- Try mixing ground flax seeds with chapati flour and make roti’s ,chapati’s or parathas.
- You can also sprinkle on curries and stir fries.
- You can add to breakfast dishes like dosa ,bread toast ,oatmeal, upma, poha etc.
TIPS AND VARIATIONS TO MAKE FLAX SEEDS CHUTNEY POWDER
- In this recipe, you can also add 2 tablespoon of roasted dry coconut OR 2 tablespoon of roasted peanuts OR both for people who do not like the taste of Flax seeds.
- The red color to this flaxseed/agase chutney pudi mainly comes from the red chilli powder used.
- This chutney pudi easily last long for 15-20 days when stored at room temperature in an airtight container. If you are making in large quantity , you can also refrigerate OR freeze up to 2 months in a ziplock and remove small portions and use accordingly.
- flax seeds (agase/alsi/jawas)
- roasted dry coconut OR desiccated coconut (optional)
- red chili powder (adjust as per your spice level)
- curry leaves
- garlic cloves
- salt as per your taste
HOW TO MAKE FLAX SEEDS CHUTNEY POWER STEP BY STEP
1.Heat a pan or kadai and dry roast flax seeds on medium-low flame until it gets roasted well(they puff up little) and starts spluttering.
Transfer it to another plate.Cool completely.
2.In same kadai add curry leaves and dry roast on medium flame until they turn dry and crispy.Cool Completely.
3.In a blender/Mixer grinder add all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients section.Dry grind it to make a smooth powder.Transfer it back to the plate, mix it well.
4.Store it in an air tight container. Serve flax seeds/agase chutney pudi with roti, chapathi, rice and dosa.
MORE RECIPES FROM KARNATAKA
FLAX SEEDS CHUTNEY POWER|AGASE CHUTNEY PUDI RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Flax Seeds Chutney Powder|Agase Chutney Pudi
- Heat a pan or kadhai and dry roast flax seeds on medium-low flame until it gets roasted well(they puff up little) and starts spluttering.Transfer it to another plate.Cool completely.
- In same kadai add curry leaves and dry roast on medium flame until they turn dry and crispy.Cool Completely.
- In a blender/Mixer grinder add all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients section.
- Dry grind it to make a smooth powder.
- Transfer it back to the plate, mix it well.
- Store it in an air tight container. Serve it with roti,chapathi,rice and dosa.
- Flax seeds must be roasted on medium-low flame with continuous stirring, otherwise they may burn and taste bitter.
- I havent used dry coconut in this recipe and is completely optional.If you are using, roast in a kadai separately for 1-2 minutes in medium-low flame.This increases shelf life of the powder.
- This chutney powder will stay fresh up to 2-3 weeks at room temperature and can be refrigerated for 1-2 months in an airtight container.
- Some people also use whole red chillies to make this chutney powder.But i prefer using chilli powder since its easily available at home any time of the year.
- You can also use 2 tablespoon of roasted peanuts in this recipe if you dont like nutty flax seed flavor.
- Jaggery is optional ,You can make spicy chutney powder without adding it too.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.