Instant Pot Vegetable Sambar is a South Indian lentil and vegetable stew made with lentils ,tamarind and unique blend spice blend together called sambar powder.
It is known as Sambaru or huli in Karnataka, Kuzhambu in Tamilnadu and Sambhar in North India due to different dialects but its preparation is the same.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
WHAT IS SAMBAR ?
Sambar is South Indian lentil and vegetable stew made with lentils ,tamarind and unique blend spice blend together called sambar powder.
This is a must have accompaniment for popular South Indian breakfast and lunch recipes like Idli, Dosa, Medu Vada, Steamed Rice etc.The final taste of Sambar greatly depends on the quality and aroma of Sambar Powder.
HOMEMADE SAMBAR POWDER
Sambar powder is easily available on Amazon or any Indian grocery store.In case you can’t find sambar powder , here’s a quick recipe to make it at home.
Dry roast the following spices in a pan on medium-low heat until fragrant, around 3 to 4 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 1 tablespoon channa dal (skinned split bengal gram)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin(jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (skinned split black gram)
- 4-5 dried red chilies (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
Let it cool completely and then grind to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
VARIATIONS & SUBSTITUTES FOR VEGETABLE SAMBAR
1.Traditionally in south indian household toor dal (split pigeon pea) is used to make sambar.But you can always use a mix of toor dal & moong dal(split yellow mung lentil) or toor dal & masoor dal(red lentil).
2.You can use vegetables of your choice like Drumstick, Brinjal(egg plant), Sweet potato , pearl onions, pumpkin and squash.
3.Blend 1/4 cup fresh/frozen coconut with little water to make smooth coconut paste.
4.To make tamarind paste, soak lemon sized tamarind in hot water, squeeze and extract the juice.If tamarind is not available you can replace with 1 tomato or juice of 1/2 lime.
5.If you like your sambar to be more spicy add 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR SAMBAR
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE,YOU MAY ALSO LIKE OTHER DAL RECIPES:
- Dal Tadka – Dal prepared with split pigeon peas lentils ,assorted spices
- Green Lentil Soup – lentil soup made with green lentils, carrots, celery, red bell pepper and indian spices
- Spinach Dal / Palak Dal – Dhal cooked with spinach leaves
- Whole green moong dal– Dal cooked with whole mung beans
- Panchmel dal – dal prepared with five varieties of lentils
- RidgeGourd Dal – dal prepared with ridgegourd and moong dal.
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE SAMBAR IN INSTANT POT STEP BY STEP
1.Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves and asafetida, let it splutter.
2.Add mix vegetables, tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
3.Then add washed toor dal(lentils),sambar powder, turmeric powder, tamarind extract , salt, coconut paste and water.Mix well.
4.Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.
5.Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
6.Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 8 minutes
7.Do a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR) .
8.Remove lid away from you, garnish with Coriander leaves.
9.Mix well and adjust consistency and spice level.Increase accordingly.
10.Serve this south indian sambar recipe with Hot Rice.
RECIPE COLLECTIONS TO TRY FROM MY BLOG
INSTANT POT VEGETABLE SAMBAR RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Vegetable Sambar
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup toor dal/split Pigeon Pea washed
- 2 cups mix vegetables (carrot,beans,potato)
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon sambar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind Concentrate *See Notes
- 1/4 cup coconut paste optional *See Notes
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon cilantro/Coriander leaves to garnish
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it's hot add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves and asafetida, let it splutter.
- Add mix vegetables, tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add washed toor dal(lentils),sambar powder, turmeric powder, tamarind extract , salt, coconut paste and water.Mix well.Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 8 minutes
- Do a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE.
- Remove lid away from you, garnish with Cilantro.
- Mix well and adjust consistency and spice level.Increase accordingly.
- Serve with Hot Steamed Rice.
- Blend 1/4 cup fresh/frozen coconut with little water to make smooth coconut paste.
- To make tamarind paste,soak lemon sized tamarind in hot water,squeeze and extract the juice.
- Sambar Powder is easily available in indian grocery stores or amazon (http://amzn.to/2G0Eeck).
- If you like your sambar to be more spicy add 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
- You can also add vegetables like pumpkin,drumstick,eggplant etc.