Looking for easy, and healthy oats recipes? Here is a collection of 10+ delicious oats recipes, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or snacks.
What are Oats?
Oats are a type of whole-grain cereal that is frequently used for breakfast dishes like oatmeal. The oat grain is processed into various forms, including steel-cut oats, rolled oats, quick oats, and oat flour. They are both tasty and nourishing! Adding this cereal grain to your diet is an excellent way to lose weight.
Types of Oats
Oats fall into two categories: steel-cut oats and rolled oats.
Both varieties start out as whole oats, or groats, from which the hull (outer layer) is removed to reveal the bran, which is high in fiber, the endosperm, and the germ, which is where vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and good fats are found. After that, the oats are steel-cut or rolled.
Category 1: Steel-Cut/Irish Oats
A particular kind of oatmeal known as steel-cut oats is produced by using steel blades to cut the entire oat groat into tiny pieces not rolled. They taste nutty and have a chewy texture. Compared to rolled oats, steel-cut oats require more time to cook, but the wait is well worth it! If you prefer your oatmeal to be heartier and more textured, these are a terrific alternative.
Category 2: Rolled oats is further divided into two subcategories:
1. Instant Oats:
Instant oats are precooked oats, as the name implies, and they may be made in a few minutes. Before being chopped and thinly rolled, the oats are cooked and dried which helps in reducing their cooking time. The fastest oats are instant ones, however occasionally they can be soggy or chewy.
2. Quick-Cooking Oats:
Quick-cooking oats are prepared by cooking, drying, and chopping the oats then rolling them thin (thinner than traditional oats) to expedite the cooking process.
3. Old-Fashioned Oats:
Oats groats are steamed and then flattened using large rollers. They are frequently used for baking and oatmeal preparation because of their flatter shape when compared to other varieties of oats. They are a popular option for breakfast dishes because of their flavorful texture.
Health Benefits of Oats
Oats are considered a superfood due to their many health benefits. From promoting heart health to helping with digestion and controlling weight. That being said, everyone needs to include oats in their everyday regimen. A couple of our favorite oat recipes are included below, and we hope you will all give them a try!
- Oats are packed with fibre that helps promote healthy digestion and keeps you full for longer.
- This grain is also a great source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help enhance the overall health.
- Oats may also help promote healthy heart.
Uses of Oats
- Breakfast: Oats are commonly used in breakfast dishes such as oatmeal, porridge, overnight oats, granola, savory oats, upma, dosa, idli and cheela.
- Baking: Oat flour can be as a flour alternative and used in baking oats cakes, cookies, muffins, and oat bread.
- Snacks: Oats are also to make healthy oats bars, energy bites and chivda.
- Smoothies: Oats can be added to smoothies for thickness and texture. Its a great way to add extra fiber and nutrients.
- Desserts: Oats can be used to make dessert like oats kheer (pudding), cookies, crumbles etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Above mentioned are the most frequently used oats. However, there are a few more variety of oats. For instance, oat flour, Scottish oats and more.
10+ Oats Recipes
Here are a few ideas to make from oats.
Other Recipe Collections to try
- 75+ Kids Lunch Box Recipes
- 35+ Salad Recipes
- 10+ Sandwich Recipes
- 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- 10+ Paratha Recipes
- 20+ Indian Air Fryer Recipes
- 60+ Indian Snack Recipes
If you’ve tried these healthy oats recipes or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!