Learn how to cook Soft and fluffy Idli or savory rice cakes steamed in an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Idli, a round shaped steamed rice-lentil cake,is one of the healthiest breakfast item of Indian Cuisine and staple food of south indians. This recipe makes steamed Idli in the Instant Pot.Idli is mostly eaten with coconut chutney and sambar.
The cakes are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils(urad dal) and rice.You can also buy idli batter in the Indian grocery stores too.
Today in this recipe i have used Rava Idli Instant Dry Mix(MTR Brand) which is available in indian store and amazon as well.You can use any brand.
SERVING SUGGESTION FOR IDLI
OTHER INSTANT POT RICE RECIPES
STEAMING IDLIS IN INSTANT POT RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Steaming Idlis in Instant Pot|How to steam idli in instant pot
- 2 cups Rice Idli OR Rava Idli Batter
- 1.5 cups Water
- oil for greasing
- Add 1.5 cups of water to the Instant pot and turn on SAUTE (high), so that the water comes up to a boil. Meanwhile grease your idly plates with oil or ghee, Pour idly batter into the idly plates/moulds.Do not over do.
- Once the water starts to boil, place the idli stand in to the Instant pot. Close lid and keep in VENTING position and turn on 'STEAM' mode.
- Steam the idli trays in the IP for 10-12 mins.Note:Timer on the instant pot does not work in the venting position, so you have to monitor time with a separate timer.
- Once done ,check the idlis by piercing a toothpick in it. If the tooth pick comes out clean, the idlis are done.
- Remove idli's from the moulds. Serve hot, with coconut chutney and sambhar.
- You can follow same procedure to steam different variety of idli like rice idli,rava idli,oats idli etc
- If your idlis are still uncooked then do not worry, steam for another 2 minutes.
- I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT