Instant Pot Whole Green Moong Dal|Green Lentils Curry|Mung Dal Subji|Hesarukalu Palya
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
You can also try my other INSTANT POT recipes like
Whole Green Moong Dal Video Recipe Below
Whole Green Moong Dal Recipe Card
- measuring cup used ,1 cup = 250 ml
- 3/4 cup,dry Green gram/dry whole green mung lentil/moong dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large, onion chopped
- 2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon , ginger-garlic paste
- 3 split,green chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to heat preference
- 1 teaspoon, coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala/curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 2-2.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon ,oil (vegetable/canola or olive)
- cilantro/coriander leaves, for garnish
- juice of ½ lemon
- Wash and soak moong dal overnight(6-7 hours)
- Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it's hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add ginger-garlic paste,saute till the ginger-garlic turns golden brown.
- Add onions,green chili and allow to saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent -stir regularly
- Then add tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes ,till tomato turns soft.
- Add turmeric powder,red chili powder,coriander powder,garam masala and cook mixture for another 1 minute(avoid burning of spices)
- Now add soaked moong dal ,water, and salt give a stir.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot,Set the pot to manual (High Pressure) and set timer to 3 minutes (for firmer moong beans) or 5 minutes(for softer,broken up moong beans).
- Once the pot beeps,manually do a quick pressure release(QR) (Wait until silver button on lid drops).BE CAREFUL OF THE HOT STEAM
- Remove lid away from you,add cilantro and lemon juice. Also adjust consistency of the dal at this point.
- Whole green moong dal is ready and serve hot with boiled rice,roti,quinoa or eat as a soup
- 1. If you dont have time to soak lentils,You can still make this dish by setting timer to 15 minutes on the INSTANTPOT with (Quick Pressure Release) and for 3/4 cup of dry green lentils add 3 cups of water.
- 2. If you don't have garam masala, Add half teaspoon each of cumin powder and add half teaspoon of coriander powder.
- 3. If your dal is watery,you can turn on the saute mode and cook for another 2-3 minute in the end.
- 4. No onion/no garlic variation: You can take out the onion and can replace garlic with a pinch of asafetida/hing.