Broccoli 65 (Broccoli Fritters) recipe is a delicious crisp fried appetizer made with broccoli, flour, corn starch and few spices. 65 recipes are popular in South Indian restaurants.
Why is it called Broccoli 65?
The name originated from Chicken 65. An enterprising hotelier capitalized on this and cooked up the dish Chicken 65, denoting that 65 chilies were used for every kilogram of chicken. Some chefs believe it is called so because of the 65 ingredients used in making it. There are many recipes made with this name like aloo 65, gobi 65, paneer 65, etc.
You may also like other broccoli recipes from my blog like Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Broccoli spinach soup, Broccoli Besan, Broccoli Poriyal|Broccoli Stir Fry with fresh coconut
How to Make Broccoli 65
Take a bowl to add all the above ingredients except oil & broccoli. I like to add equal amounts of all-purpose flour and corn starch. But if you don't have flour, replace it with corn starch alone.
Add water, mix it well. Make it medium-thick consistency batter or make it as bajji mix consistency.
Add broccoli florets in the prepared batter, coat with the batter well. Do not over coat broccoli florets with batter, they become soggy.
Once oil is hot, add broccoli and deep fry till golden brown & crisp on medium flame.
Garnish with fried green chilly and curry leaves .
Tips & Variations
- Do not overcoat broccoli florets with batter, they become soggy.
- You can add food color, I used Kashmiri red chili powder to get red color and taste.
- Try making the same recipe with cauliflower. It is called Gobi 65 or Cauliflower 65.
More Appetizers Ideas
- Barbeque Nation Style Cajun Potatoes
- Dahi-papdi-chaat(Sweet Potato)
- Chocolate Makhana
- Mexican Style Golgappa with Fruit Pani
- Corn Pakoda
- Bread Pizza
Broccoli 65 (Broccoli Fritters)
- Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup broccoli florets (appx 10-12)
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tablespoon corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry leaves chopped
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ cup water
- oil to deep fry
- salt to taste
- Take a bowl add all the above ingredients except oil & broccoli.
- Add water, mix it well.Make it medium thick consistency batter or make it as bajji mix consistency.
- Add broccoli florets in the prepared batter, coat with the batter well .
- Once oil is hot,add broccoli and deep fry till golden brown & crisp on medium flame.
- Garnish with fried green chilly and curry leaves .
- Do not over coat broccoli florets with batter ,they become soggy.
- You can add food color ,i used kashmiri red chilli powder to get color and taste.
- You can also make same dish with cauliflower.It is called Gobi 65 or Cauliflower 65.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.