Karindi is a kind of chutney relished mostly by Veerashaiva community families living in central and northern Karnataka. This delicacy has to be enjoyed with plain rice or jowar roti or with rice and sambar as a side dish.This is my dad’s favorite chutney and can be always found in our refrigerator.
Green Chilli Karindi|North Karnataka style Karindi|ಕರಿಂಡಿ Written Recipe Below
- • 100 grams OR 20-22 ripened long and thin green chillies which are less spicy in nature(byadgi green chilli)
- • 2.5 teaspoons Flax seeds/Agase
- • 2 teaspoons Mustard seeds
- • 2 small bulbs of garlic (whole – in India, 4-5 cloves in USA)
- • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- • Salt as per taste
- Grind all the ingredients to a coarse mixture.Mix well and store it in a container.
- Keep this chutney in hot sun for 2-3 days to ferment it.Then karindi will get very nice aroma and its color will change.Note:This step is optional if you want to make small quantities.
- This can be eaten with roti or chapatti or rice too. You can add ghee or oil to tone down the spice a bit.
- 1.You can also add 2 teaspoons of methi seeds to this karindi.Its important to soak Fenugreek/methi seeds for atleast 1-2 hours.
- 2.Cut pieces of carrot or cucumber can be added to the above mixture before keeping for fermentation.