Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #38 – Cabbage Pulao & Yogurt + Potato Chips + Strawberries & Blueberries
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Cabbage Pulao & Yogurt – Here is the detailed recipe link for Cabbage Pulao.
Cabbage Rice (Cabbage Pulao) - Instant Pot
- 1 cup basmati rice short grain rice can also be used
- 2.5 cups cabbage shredded or finely chopped
- ½ cup green peas (fresh/frozen)
- 1 medium onion thinly sized
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder or biryani masala powder
- juice of half lemon
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- salt to taste
- 1.5 cups water
Instant Pot Method
- Grind/Blend green chilies, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom together to a coarse paste. Keep aside. You can also add two tablespoons of fresh coconut while grinding tastes excellent.
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add oil to the POT. Once POT is hot, add in the cumin/jeera. Then add the blended mixture and saute for 15 secs.**Note: the mixture can stick or burn to the bottom, stirring continuously.
- Then add in the onions and saute until the onions turn light brown.Note:You can also add chopped tomatoes to this recipe, but I haven't added them in this.
- Now add in the chopped cabbage, green peas, turmeric powder, mix well and saute for 30 secs.
- Add rice, garam masala, salt, water, and give a quick stir.
- Close the lid on the pot. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set the timer to 6 minutes.
- Do a QUICK RELEASE (QR), OR if you have time, wait for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE (NPR).
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid. Add the juice of a half lemon and garnish with coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cabbage Rice or Cabbage pulao is ready, serve with yogurt or raita.
Indian Pressure Cooker Method:
- Follow the same steps and close the lid place a whistle and cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. Pressure cooker Cabbage Pulao is ready.
SNACK – Potato Chips – I have added store brought potato chips. You can use a kettle or baked potato chips for a healthier version.
SNACK – Strawberries & Blueberries – I always use organic berries and wash them before packing them into the lunch box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can shred cabbage the previous night and refrigerate it.
- If you dont have Instant Pot, you can use a Stovetop pressure cooker
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you If you make this recipe, please share your food photo with hashtag #indianveggiedelight on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and others can enjoy it too! Thank you ♥
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.
Leave a Reply