KIDS LUNCH BOX #58 – Beetroot Paratha + Yogurt + Pear
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
- Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Butternut Squash Pasta + Dry Grapes + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Beetroot Paratha –Here is the detailed Recipe Link .
Beetroot Paratha Recipe
Beetroot Paratha is a delicious and healthy paratha recipe prepared using beetroot puree that can be served for breakfast or lunch and also perfect for adults or kids lunch box.Serve beetroot chapati with a pickle and raita of your choice.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 medium beetroot (about 1 cup)
- 1.5 cups whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves ,finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon pudina (mint) ,finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to (cook parathas)
- water , to knead the dough
- salt to taste
- Firstly peel the skin of beetroots ,wash and chop them into 2 inch pieces.Add them in to a pan with some water.Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes and turn off the stove.Once cooled puree them in a blender without water.
- In a bowl add wheat flour ,pureed beetroot, coriander leaves ,mint(pudina) leaves ,ajwain, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala ,amchur powder ,oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at-least 10-15 mins.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Roll the parathas to 3 inch diameter using chapati roller.Then spread little oil or ghee on it using a spoon.
- Fold from one side(from top) then other side covering the previous fold(from bottom).Again spread oil and sprinkle some wheat flour.Again fold from left and then right.It should look like a square.Then roll it to a slightly thick square shaped paratha.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Beetroot Paratha with curd, pickle, raita or any gravy of your choice.
TIPS & VARIATIONS
- You can even use grated beetroot to make these parathas if you dont have time to boil and puree them.
- This paratha is bit sweet because of beetroot so adjust the spices accordingly to make it spicy.
- You can add green leafy vegetables like finely chopped spinach or methi(fenugreek leaves) to make it more healthy.
- You can also just make beetroot chapati or roti by just mixing wheat flour ,beetroot puree and salt into a dough.
Calories: 95kcalCarbohydrates: 5gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 71gSugar: 1gVitamin C: 1.9mgCalcium: 3mgIron: 0.1mg
SNACK – Yogurt
SNACK – Pear – I have sliced the peach and packed into the box.Always try to use local and seasonal fruits.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can boil and puree beetroot previous night and refrigerate.You can also prepare the beetroot paratha dough previous night if you are busy next morning.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.