KIDS LUNCH BOX #58 – Beetroot Paratha + Yogurt + Pear
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
- Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Butternut Squash Pasta + Dry Grapes + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 medium beetroot (about 1 cup)
- 1.5 cups whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon pudina (mint) finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to (cook parathas)
- water to knead the dough
- salt adjust to taste
- Firstly peel the skin of beetroots, wash and chop them into 2-inch pieces. Next, add them into a pan with some water.Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes and turn off the stove. Once cooled, puree them in a blender without water.
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, pureed beetroot, coriander leaves, mint(pudina) leaves, ajwain, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, amchur powder, oil, and salt. Mix well.
- Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at-least 10-15 mins.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls.
- Roll the parathas to 3-inch diameter using a chapati roller. Then spread little oil or ghee on it using a spoon.
- Fold from one side (from top) then the other side covering the previous fold (from bottom).Again spread oil and sprinkle some wheat flour. Again fold from left and then right. It should look like a square. Then roll it to a slightly thick square-shaped paratha.
- Heat a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook. Once you see bubbles, flip onto the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Beetroot Paratha with curd, pickle, raita.
Tips & Variations
- You can even use grated beetroot to make these parathas if you don't have time to boil and puree them.
- This paratha is a bit sweet because of beetroot so adjust the spices accordingly to make it spicy.
- You can add green leafy vegetables like finely chopped spinach or methi (fenugreek leaves) to make it more healthy.
- You can also just make beetroot chapati or roti by just mixing wheat flour, beetroot puree, and salt into a dough.
SNACK – Yogurt
SNACK – Pear – I have sliced the peach and packed it into the box. Always try to use local and seasonal fruits.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can boil and puree beetroot the previous night and refrigerate. You can also prepare the beetroot paratha dough the previous night if you are busy the next morning.