Hello, Bhavana back here with the Kids Lunch Box series, where I share healthy, kid-friendly lunch and snacks, that I serve my kid Monday to Friday, along with a few tips & tricks thrown in here and there.Hope you find this useful to pack meals for your children.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #1 - Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
Spinach Corn Sandwich, This grilled Spinach Corn sandwich is very popular in cafe coffee day in India and is a healthy school lunch box option. This combo of spinach and corn is just too hard to resist, try it and you will surely ask for a second one!
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Mini Paneer Uttapam + Ketchup + Carrot Sticks
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Spinach Corn Sandwich - To make Spinach Corn Sandwich - (Click on the highlighted link to get the detailed recipe) I made half of this recipe which is good for 1 person. You can make spinach corn stuffing ahead of time and refrigerate, I usually make the previous night and then grill the sandwich in the morning. let them cool a bit (let the steam settle) and then pack them in the box. Do not pack while they are very hot, once you close the steam may spoil the entire content and becomes soggy.
Spinach and Corn Sandwich Recipe
For Sandwich Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup boiled sweet corn
- 1 cup spinach (palak) (tightly packed), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida) (or wheat flour, corn starch)
- ½ cup milk chilled
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella (or processed cheese)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 bread slices
- shredded mozzarella (or cheese slice) as needed
- butter for toasting
Prepare Sandwich Filling:
- Heat butter in a pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant.
- Then add boiled sweet corn & spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes till the spinach leaves wilt.
- Add all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour) and cook for a minute till the raw smell of the flour disappears.
- Then add the cold (chilled) milk and stir continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens, Approximately takes 3-4 minutes.
- Then add cheese, red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper powder, salt, and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Spinach Corn Sandwich filling is ready!
Prepare the Sandwich
- Spread creamy spinach corn mixture on one side of bread, and add some grated cheese (or cheese slice) on top.
- Then cover with another slice of bread.
- Either toast or grill the sandwich with some butter on the Tawa or Sandwich maker.
- The spinach corn cheese sandwich is ready to serve. Serve it hot with green chutney or ketchup.
Tips & Variations
- Use brown or multigrain bread for healthier choices.
- You can also replace maida (all-purpose flour) with wheat flour or cornflour.
- Toast the bread on tawa or use a sandwich maker or grill to golden and crisp.
- Always add chilled/cold milk so you won’t get any lumps of the flour.
- I have used only mozzarella cheese for this recipe but the combination of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese can be used. If you do not have mozzarella cheese use processed cheese or grated paneer.
- You can also add onions while sauteing but this is completely optional.
- If you are vegan skip mozzarella or use vegan cheese. Replace butter with oil.
- Add more or less spinach or cheese according to your preference for this palak corn sandwich.
SNACK - Cutie orange (peel and then pack in a box)
SNACK - few Almonds & Pistachios
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- Make the Spinach Corn cheese stuffing/filling the previous night and refrigerate in an air-tight container.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon Choose a box that can pack tightly so the sandwich pieces don’t move to smudge.
- I’ve used Whole grain bread for this recipe.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.