Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #55 – Aloo Masala Puri + Aamras + Grapes
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Aloo Masala Puri – Here is the Recipe Link.
Aloo Masala Puri|Potato Masala Poori
Measuring cup used (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 small Potato ,boiled & mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup wheat or multigrain flour
- 1/4 cup Semolina/Suji/Rava
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Kasoori methi
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Water as needed
- Combine the whole wheat flour, sooji, boiled and mashed potato along with cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, red chilli flakes, garam masala ,kasuri methi ,salt and mix well.Knead into a stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into small lime size pieces and roll it out into a 3 to 4 inch circle dusting with little flour.I got 12 poori’s.
- Carefully slide rolled poori into hot oil and deep fry on both sides until it slightly starts to change color.
- Remove it from the oil using slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate and serve warm with any side dish of your choice.
TIPS & VARIATIONS OF ALOO MASALA PURI
- Dough should not be soft like roti or loose or sticky. It should be slight stiff yet smooth.
- Roll the aloo masala pooris of medium thickness. If it is too thin like roti then it will not puff up while frying.
- Do not forget to add semolina/sooji as it helps keep aloo poori crispy for longer.
- You can also replace Kasuri methi with finely chopped coriander leaves or mint(pudina).
- While deep frying the pooris make sure that the oil is hot sufficiently else the poori will not puff up.
- You can also add spinach puree or beetroot puree instead of potato and make these masala pooris.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
SNACK – Aamras – I have taken 1 Mango and removed its pulp which is about 1/2 cup.I blended mango pulp with 1/2 teaspoon of jaggery(or sugar).You can add water or milk to thin it if you like.Then add saffron and cardamom powder for taste but its optional.
SNACK – Grapes – Wash the red grapes before packing into the box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can boil and mash the aloo(potato) previous night itself.
- You can also prepare and refrigerate aamras previous night.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.