KIDS LUNCH BOX #47 – Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Masala Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link .
Masala Rice Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice or any rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables(carrot, beans, peas, bell pepper)
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- few curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- salt to taste
- Firstly take ginger ,garlic and whole spices like cinnamon ,cloves ,cardamom in a mortar pestle and crush till you get a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add green chillies ,curry leaves ,hing(asafetida) and ginger-garlic-spice mixture. Saute for few seconds till the raw smell of the ginger garlic goes away.
- Next add onions.Saute till onions are light brown in color.
- Then add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Next add the cooked rice and spices like turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt.Mix it well.Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes and then turn off the gas.
- Lastly squeeze some fresh lime juice over it.Garnish with Coriander leaves & serve hot with raita.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice ,quinoa or millets .
- You can use ghee if you are making this for kids.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe.
- You can add roasted cashews or peanuts to get crunch in the rice recipe.
- I have not used tomatoes in this recipe but feel free to add.I have used lime juice for tanginess.
SNACK – Lauki Raita - I have prepared this by adding shredded lauki(bottlegourd) to yogurt and added jeera (cumin) powder ,chilli powder and salt for seasoning.
SNACK – Broccoli Smileys - I will share the recipe soon
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut the veggies for masala rice previous night itself.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.