KIDS LUNCH BOX #47 – Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch
LUNCH – Masala Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Masala Rice.
Masala Rice Recipe
- Firstly take whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom in a mortar pestle and crush till you get a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee in a Kadai. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add green chilies, curry leaves, hing (asafoetida), minced ginger-garlic, and ground whole spice powder. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- Next, add onions. Saute till onions are light brown in color.
- Then add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Next, add the cooked rice and spices like turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix it well. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes, and then turn off the gas.
- Lastly, squeeze some fresh lime juice over it. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve vegetable spiced rice hot with raita.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice, quinoa, or millets.
- Use ghee if you are making this for kids.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe.
- You can add roasted cashews or peanuts to get crunch in the rice recipe.
- I have not used tomatoes in this recipe but feel free to add. I have used lime juice for tanginess.
SNACK – Lauki Raita - I have prepared this by adding shredded lauki (bottle gourd) to yogurt and adding jeera (cumin) powder, chili powder, and salt for seasoning.
SNACK – Broccoli Smileys - I will share the recipe soon.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut the veggies for masala rice previous night itself.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free, and easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes for your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.