KIDS LUNCH BOX #47 – Masala Rice + Lauki Raita + Broccoli Smileys
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch
LUNCH – Masala Rice – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Masala Rice.
Masala Rice Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- Firstly take ginger, garlic, and whole spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom in a mortar pestle and crush till you get a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee in a kadai. Add mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add green chilies, curry leaves, hing (asafoetida), and ginger-garlic-spice mixture. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of the ginger garlic goes away.
- Next, add onions. Saute till onions are light brown in color.
- Then add the mixed vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Next add the cooked rice and spices like turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix it well. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes and then turn off the gas.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice over it. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve vegetable spiced rice hot with raita.
- You can also use sweet corn instead of peas.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice, quinoa, or millets.
- Use ghee if you are making this for kids.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe.
- You can add roasted cashews or peanuts to get crunch in the rice recipe.
- I have not used tomatoes in this recipe but feel free to add. I have used lime juice for tanginess.
SNACK – Lauki Raita - I have prepared this by adding shredded lauki (bottle gourd) to yogurt and adding jeera (cumin) powder, chili powder, and salt for seasoning.
SNACK – Broccoli Smileys - I will share the recipe soon.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can cut the veggies for masala rice previous night itself.