This Instant pot Vermicelli Upma(Semiyan Upma) or Seviyan Upma is a traditional and popular South Indian breakfast made with vermicelli ,vegetables and few spices.This is an easy one-pot healthy recipe that you can cook easily under 15 minutes in the pressure cooker.
Vermicelli is known by various local names in India. In Kannada it is known as Shavige, Telugu name for vermicelli is Semiya or sevalu, and Seviyan in North India.
Vermicelli Upma is a Kids friendly recipe.It can be served for breakfast or packed for lunch box for both kids and adults.
Today i am showing how to make Vermicelli Upma in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.I prefer to use Bambino vermicelli to make this upma.
The ratio of vermicelli and water is 1:1.25 in the Instant pot, but may depends on the quality and type of vermicelli used.
Now a days ready roasted vermicelli’s are also available in the market which makes the cooking faster and quicker.
WHICH VERMICELLI / SEMIYA CAN I USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
There’s a huge variety of vermicelli varieties available in the market e.g. made from rice, semolina or wheat flour.I have used Indian vermicelli made up of wheat flour which is roasted and easily available in indian grocery stores or amazon.
HOW TO ROAST VERMICELLI IF YOU HAVE UNROASTED VARIETY?
If you have unroasted vermicelli or seviyan in your pantry then you need to roast in little oil for 3-4 minutes or till it gets light brown color.
I used roasted Bambino Vermicelli to make this seviyan upma, but you can use any other brand too.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VERMICELLI UPMA ON THE STOVETOP?
I have shared stovetop vegetable vermicelli upma here
TIPS & VARIATIONS TO MAKE INSTANT POT VERMICELLI UPMA:
- Make sure to use roasted vermicelli, raw vermicelli will become mushy.
- You can use vegetables of your choice.
- For kids box you can replace oil with ghee.Makes it more healthier choice.Also you can reduce the green chillies.
- You can also add roasted cashews or peanuts(groundnuts) to make it more healthy and crunchier.
- If you do not have a Instant pot,Here are the instructions to make seviyan upma on stove top.
- You can double the recipe with the same cooking time.
CHECKOUT MY OTHER INSTANT POT RICE RECIPES
INSTANT POT VERMICELLI UPMA(SEMIYA UPMA) RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma(Semiya Upma)
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup Bambino vermicelli (semiya) , roasted
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mix veggies (carrot,beans,peas,capsicum,corn)
- 2 green chillies , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin) seeds
- 1 teaspoon spilt urad dal
- 1 pinch of hing(asafoetida)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ginger , minced
- 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coriander (cilantro) for garnish
- juice of half lemon
- salt to taste
INSTANT POT METHOD
- Dry roast Vermicelli in the instant pot itself untill it turns light golden brown on Saute Mode.I have used store brought roasted bambino vermicelli for this recipe.
- In SAUTE mode ,Add ghee or oil and once it's hot add mustard seeds ,jeera and wait until it splutters.
- Then add urad dal, green chilies, ginger ,curry leaves, hing ,turmeric powder and saute until urad changes into light golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and saute until onion becomes light brown.
- Add chopped mixed vegetables ,roasted vermicelli ,water ,salt and mix well.
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 1 minute.When the instant pot beeps, do a 5 minute NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE(NPR), which means release pressure manually 5 minutes after the instant pot beeps.If you are in a hurry, you can also do a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE (QR) manually.
- Remove the steel insert from the instant pot and add lemon juice and garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and gently fluff the vermicelli with a fork.
- Vermicelli Upma is ready to be enjoyed with coconut chutney