Today’s lunch box suits both adults and kids as well. Dal Paratha and pineapple yogurt raita on the side, a heavenly combo.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #7 - Dal Paratha + Pineapple Raita + Carrot Sticks
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Mini Paneer Uttapam + Ketchup + Carrot Sticks
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Dal Paratha - Dal paratha is a very popular in Rajasthani and Gujarati ,dish prepared with whole wheat flour, dal and spices. It can be prepared with any dal.I have used toor dal to prepare this paratha. This is a very healthy, filling and nutritious breakfast or lunch item.You can use leftover dal for this recipe.But i prefer cooking fresh dal for kids lunch box.
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- ½ cup cooked toor dal
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated , (optional)
- ½ teaspoon jeera(cumin) seeds
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon amchur powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander or little kasuri methi
- 2-3 tablespoon oil or ghee for cooking
- ⅓ cup water for kneading
- In a large bowl add wheat flour ,cooked dal, coriander leaves ,jeera(cumin) seeds ,ajwain, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala ,amchur powder ,oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add very little water and make a smooth (but not sticky) dough. Smear little oil on the dough and let it rest for at-least 10-15 mins.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Roll the parathas to 3 inch diameter using chapati roller.Then spread little oil or ghee on it using a spoon.Fold from left and then right as seen in this picture.
- Again spread oil and sprinkle some wheat flour.Then fold from top then other side covering the previous fold(from bottom).It should look like a square.Then roll it to a slightly thick square shaped paratha.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Dal Paratha with curd, pickle, raita or any gravy of your choice.
Tips & Variations:
- I have used ½ cup of thick cooked dal for 1 cup of wheat flour in this recipe.If you using thinner dal ,then you can increase the quantity.
- I have used cooked toor dal in this recipe.You can use any dal like chana dal ,chickpeas ,masoor dal ,yellow moong dal or green moong dal.Or mix of several dals.
- You can use leftover dal from the previous night ,that tastes even more better because that will already have some masala in it.
- You can add finely chopped mint (pudina) for extra flavor.
- You can add freshly chopped spinach or methi (fenugreek) leaves to the paratha.
- You can add finely chopped onions too but i dint add to this recipe.
SNACK - Pineapple Raita Combine plain yogurt , jeera(cumin) powder, chat masala powder , salt, pepper in a cup. Mix well and then add the minced or chopped pineapple on top, pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid.Can use frozen or canned .I used fresh pineapple here.You can simply replace pineapple with any veggies of your choice.
SNACK - Carrot Sticks Wash and peel the carrots.Cut them into 2 inch long sticks and then pack into the box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare dal paratha in the night itself and slightly warm in the morning before packing,If you don’t prefer that then make the dal dough the night before and refrigerate. Make the parathas in the morning and pack.
- Chop the pineapple into small chunks and refrigerate.
- For the soft chapati, it is important to cover the dough and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes.
- With the above measure you can get 4 parathas of regular size and 6 small size.
- Adding a few teaspoon of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turning sour by lunch time.
- Try to pack seasonal fruits into the box.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.