INSTANT POT Spinach Dal|Dal Palak|One Pot Spinach Dal
I have prepared this dish in my electric pressure cooker, Instant Pot DUO60 6 QT
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Instant Pot Spinach Dal Video recipe is below
- measuring cup used ,1 cup = 180ml
- 1/2 cup,Toor dal/ split pigeon peas/lentils
- 2 cups,spinach/palak,chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, adjust to heat preference
- 1 teaspoon garam masala/curry powder/sambhar powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 2 cups water
- 3 split,green chillies
- 1 spring,curry leaves (optional for flavor only)
- 1 tablespoon ,ghee or butter or oil, add more according to taste
- cilantro/coriander leaves, for garnish
- juice of ½ lemon
- Wash and rinse the dal,keep aside. Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee and once it's hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Add chopped garlic, green chili,curry leaves and saute till the garlic turns golden brown.
- Then add chopped tomato and mix. Cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder,salt,red chili powder and cook the tomato mixture for 1-2 minutes ,till tomato turns soft.
- Add chopped spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the rinsed dal ,water,garam masala and give a stir.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Cancel Saute mode,Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and increase timer to 10 minutes. Once the pot beeps, let it release the pressure naturally(NPR) for 10 minutes (Wait until silver button on lid drops).
- Remove lid away from you,add cilantro and lemon juice. Also adjust consistency of the dal at this point.
- Spinach dal is ready and serve hot with boiled rice,quinoa.
- 1. If you don't have garam masala, Add half teaspoon each of cumin powder and add half teaspoon of coriander powder.
- 2. If you are in a hurry,Once 10 minutes cooking time is up and you hear a beep, wait few minutes (5-6 minutes) and then release the pressure by yourself ..you would still see same results as above.
- 3. If your dal is watery,you can turn on the saute mode and cook for another 2-3 minute in the end.
- 4. You can also use combination of toor dal and masoor dal