Masala Puffed Rice or Spicy Garlic Puffed Rice recipe also known as Bellulli Mandakki ( Bellulli=Garlic, Mandakki=Puffed rice) is a favorite tea time snack for North Kannadigas prepared using thin puffed rice, peanuts, roasted gram, green chili, curry leaves, garlic and few other spices.
Masala Puffed Rice is also known by different names like bellulli mandakki ,khara puri, khara mandakki ,khara kadlepuri, spicy garlic puffed rice, spicy murmura, mandakki mixture, spicy churmuri etc.
You can serve this Spicy Garlic Puffed Rice(Khara Mandakki) with hot cup of tea or coffee.Just before serving, top it with finely chopped onion ,coriander leaves and mixture (sev).
Preparing this tasty Masala Puffed Rice recipe or Spicy Murmura is very easy and i learnt it from my mother.Stays fresh and crisp up to 15 days when stored in a air tight container.You an increase or decrease the ingredients according to your taste and preference.
WHAT IS MANDAKKI?
Mandakki or puffed rice (also known as murmura ,mamra, puri ,porri or arsi porri) is a type of puffed grain from the Indian subcontinent, made from rice, commonly used in breakfast cereal or snack foods, and served as a popular street food like bhelpuri, masala mandakki in India, Bangladesh and Nepal .
In the North Karnataka region, Mandakki Oggarane, Masala Puffed Rice (belluli mandakki) is a popular snack.
TIPS & VARIATIONS TO MAKE MASALA PUFFED RICE
- If you like garlic you can add some more.
- Puffed rice/Mandakki must be fresh and crisp for this. Incase it has turned a bit soggy, keep it in microwave and heat for 1 min. It will get crisp. Alternatively you can dry roast them in a wide kadai too separately for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- You can also add dry coconut pieces and dry fruits while roasting peanuts.
- Puffed rice/mandakki (Appx 1 liter)
- Mustard Seeds
- Jeera/cumin seeds optional
- Curry leaves
- Garlic cloves
- Daliya/putani/hurigadale/fried gram
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE MASALA PUFFED RICE STEP BY STEP
1.Heat oil in a wide pan on medium flame.Add mustard, jeera, peanuts and roast until peanuts are slightly brown and roasted.
2.Then add fried gram ,curry leaves, crushed garlic one by one, fry for 2 minutes.
3.Turn off the heat, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, sugar and salt. Mix it well.
4.Mix the above masala with puffed rice until well coated .
5.Mouth watering masala puffed rice is ready.Serve spicy murmura with onion, sev and Mirchi/bonda. Allow it to cool and store in an airtight container.
CHECKOUT OTHER SNACKS RECIPES
MASALA PUFFED RICE|SPICY GARLIC PUFFED RICE RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Masala Puffed Rice|Spicy Garlic Puffed Rice
- measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 5-6 cups Puffed rice/mandakki (Appx 1 liter)
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera/cumin seeds optional
- 1-2 stalk Curry leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup Peanut/groundnut/shenga
- 1/4 cup Daliya/putani/hurigadale/fried gram
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Powdered Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wide pan on medium flame.
- Add mustard,jeera,peanuts and roast until peanuts are slightly brown and roasted.
- Then add fried gram ,curry leaves, crushed garlic one by one, fry for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat,add turmeric powder, red chilli powder,sugar and salt. Mix it well.
- Mix the above masala with puffed rice until well coated .
- Mouth watering masala puffed rice is ready.Serve with onion and Mirchi/bonda. Allow it to cool and store in an airtight container.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.