Tendli Masale bhaat recipe is a traditional Maharashtrian one pot rice dish prepared using nutritious ivy gourd ('tendli' or 'tondli' in Marathi, 'kundru' or 'tindora' in Hindi ,'tondekai' in Kannada and 'kovakkai' in Tamil) and goda masala in instant pot pressure cooker or stove top.
'Tendli' means ivy gourd and 'bhaat' means rice in Marathi.This healthy one pot rice dish can be made for lunch or dinner and can be served with plain curd or with a raita of your choice.
Every Maharashtrian household will have this goda masala(spice blend made using dry coconut,cinnamon,dry red chillies,stone flower,sesame seeds and other ingredients) which is used like garam masala for maharashtrian dishes.
I have used store brought Goda Masala for this recipe.Goda masala is an absolute must in Tendli Masale Bhaat ,it gives a unique flavor and aroma to the dish
Checkout famous Mumbai Pav Bhaji recipe made in the Instant Pot from my blog.
BENEFITS OF TINDORA (IVY GOURD)
Ivy gourd is said to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that may aid in the prevention or treatment of a diverse range of health conditions, from diabetes and high cholesterol to high blood pressure and obesity.- Source
HOW TO MAKE GODA MASALA AT HOME?
Goda Masala can be easily made at home.Every family has their own recipe with variation on spices used.Goda masala is also called Kala masala in some parts of Maharashtra.
FOR THE GODA MASALA (SPICE MIX):
- 1 tablespoon Dry coconut/Desiccated Coconut
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 4-5 Black peppercorns (Kali Mirch)
- 1 or 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 green Cardamom (Elaichi)
- 3-4 Cloves (Lavang/Long)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- ½ inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool) - optional
- Dry roast the spices one by one on medium low heat until fragrant or they change color.
- Let this cool completely.Grind it into a fine powder and store it in an airtight container.
HOW TO MAKE TENDLI MASALE BHAAT IN INSTANT POT
Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds and cumin (jeera) seeds ,let them splutter.
Next add minced ginger ,garlic ,green chilies, curry leaves, cashews and asafetida. Stir and saute for 30 seconds till the cashews turn light brown in color.
Add the tindora (Ivy Gourd) and stir fry for few seconds.
Next add rinsed rice, red chilli powder ,turmeric powder ,goda masala ,salt .Mix in everything gently so that the masala is coated nicely with rice.
Add water (depending on your rice variety).Mix well and deglaze the pot.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release(QR) Manually.
Remove lid away from you, garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and fresh coconut.Gently mix everything together.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Tendli Bhaat Recipe is ready to be enjoyed with pickle , papad and raita.
STOVE TOP PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
Follow the same steps and close the lid place a whistle and cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.Ivy gourd rice/Tendli Bhat recipe is ready to serve
TIPS TO MAKE BEST TONDLI BHAAT RECIPE
- Traditionally masale bhaat is made using Goda masala, but you can use vangi bhaat masala powder or pav bhaji masala to make different variations.
- Goda Masala is readily available at indian grocery stores or make fresh home made masala powder.
- Vegans can replace ghee with oil.
- I have skipped onion and garlic and made No Onion No garlic Version of tendli masale bhaat. But you can add onions and garlic too.
CAN I MAKE THIS TENDLI RICE RECIPE WITH ANY OTHER VEGETABLE?
If you are unable to find tindora or tendli ,you can replace with any vegetable of your choice like potato ,egg plant or bell peppers.
WHAT KIND OF RICE DO WE USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Traditionally tendli masale bhaat recipe is made with Indrayani rice, Maharashtrian popular grain. Most of the south indian rice recipes are made with sona masuri rice(short grain rice) but basmati works well too.
CHECKOUT MY OTHER INSTANT POT RICE RECIPES
TENDLI BHAAT RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Tendli Bhaat Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic ,minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger ,minced
- 2 green chillies ,slit lengthwise
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 10-12 cashews nuts
- a big pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1.5 cups tindora (ivy gourd) ,sliced
- 1 cup short grain rice, rinsed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1.5 tablespoon goda masala
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh coconut
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds and cumin (jeera) seeds ,let them splutter.
- Next add green chilies, curry leaves, asafetida , ginger and cashew nuts. Stir and saute for 30 seconds till the cashews turn light brown in color.
- Add the tindora (Ivy Gourd) and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add rinsed rice, goda masala,red chilli powder ,turmeric powder ,salt .Mix in everything gently so that the masala is coated nicely with rice.
- Add water (depending on your rice variety) and mix well.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release(QR) Manually.
- Remove lid away from you, garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and fresh coconut.Gently mix everything together.
- Tendli Bhaat Recipe is ready to be enjoyed with pickle , papad and raita.
STOVE TOP PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
- Follow the same steps and close the lid place a whistle and cook for 1 whistle on medium flame.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.