This Tendli bhaat recipe is a traditional Maharashtrian style one pot rice dish prepared using ivy gourd ('tendli' or 'tondli' in Marathi, 'kundru' or 'tindora' in Hindi, 'tondekai' in Kannada and 'kovakkai' in Tamil) and goda masala in an instant pot pressure cooker or stovetop.
'Tendli' means ivy gourd and 'bhaat' means rice in Marathi. This healthy one pot rice dish can be served for lunch or dinner with plain curd or raita of your choice. You may want to check my recipes for one-pot Karnataka Style Bisi Bele Bath, Quinoa Bisi Bele Bath, and Methi Leaves Bhaat.
Every Maharashtrian household will have this goda masala powder (spice blend made using dry coconut, cinnamon, dry red chilies, stone flower, sesame seeds, and other ingredients) which is used like garam masala for Maharashtrian dishes.
I have used store brought Goda Masala for this recipe. Goda masala is an absolute must in masale bhaat with tendli, it gives a unique flavor and aroma to the dish
Checkout famous Mumbai Pav Bhaji recipe made in the Instant Pot from my blog.
Benefits of Tindora (Ivy Gourd)
Ivy gourd is said to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that may aid in the prevention or treatment of a diverse range of health conditions, from diabetes and high cholesterol to high blood pressure and obesity. - Source
How to make Goda Masala at Home?
Goda Masala can be easily made at home. Also, Every family has their own recipe with variations on spices used. Goda masala is also known as Kala masala in some parts of Maharashtra.
For the Goda Masala (Spice Mix):
- 1 tablespoon Dry coconut/Desiccated Coconut
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 4-5 Black peppercorns (Kali Mirch)
- 1 or 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 2 green Cardamom (Elaichi)
- 3-4 Cloves (Lavang/Long)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- ½ inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool) - optional
- Dry roast the spices one by one on medium low heat until fragrant or they change color.
- Let this cool completely. Once cooled grind it into a fine powder and store it in an airtight container.
How to Make Tendli Bhaat in Instant Pot
Firstly, Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds and cumin (jeera) seeds, let them splutter.
Next add minced ginger, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves, cashews, and asafetida. Stir and saute for 30 seconds till the cashews turn light brown in color.
Add the tindora (Ivy Gourd) and stir fry for few seconds.
Next add rinsed rice, red chili powder, turmeric powder, goda masala, salt. Mix everything gently so the masalas coats with rice nicely.
Add water (depending on your rice variety). Mix well and deglaze the pot.
Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
Furthermore, Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set the timer to 5 minutes.
When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release (QR) Manually.
Lastly, Remove the lid away from you, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and fresh coconut. Gently mix everything together.
Serve this Instant Pot Tendli Bhaat Recipe with pickle, papad and raita.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method
Follow the same steps and close the pressure cooker lid and place a whistle. Cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. Maharashtrian Tendli bhaat in cooker is ready to serve.
Tips to make Maharashtrian Tendli Bhaat
- Goda masala gives an authentic taste to the dish, but you can use vangi bhaat masala powder, garam masala, or pav bhaji masala for a variation.
- Goda Masala is readily available at Indian grocery stores or even amazon. In case you don't find it, You can easily make it at home with readily available ingredients in the pantry.
- Vegans can replace ghee with oil.
- I have skipped onion and garlic and made No Onion No garlic version of tendli masale bhaat. However, you can add onions and garlic too.
If you are unable to find tindora or tendli, you can replace with any vegetable of your choice like potato, egg plant or bell peppers.
What kind of rice do we use for this recipe?
Traditionally tendli masale bhaat recipe is made with Indrayani rice, Maharashtrian popular grain. Most of the south indian rice recipes are made with sona masuri rice (short grain rice) but basmati works well too.
If you like this recipe, then checkout more Instant Pot Rice Recipes below
Tendli Bhaat Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 10-12 cashews nuts
- a big pinch asafetida (hing)
- 1.5 cups tindora (ivy gourd) sliced
- 1 cup short grain rice rinsed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1.5 tablespoon goda masala
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh coconut
Instant Pot Method:
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil and once it’s hot add mustard seeds and cumin (jeera) seeds ,let them splutter.
- Next add green chilies, curry leaves, asafetida , ginger and cashew nuts. Stir and saute for 30 seconds till the cashews turn light brown in color.
- Add the tindora (Ivy Gourd) and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add rinsed rice, goda masala,red chilli powder ,turmeric powder ,salt .Mix in everything gently so that the masala is coated nicely with rice.
- Add water (depending on your rice variety) and mix well.
- Close the lid on the pot, and turn pressure valve to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release (QR) Manually.
- Remove lid away from you, garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and fresh coconut.Gently mix everything together.
- Tendli Bhaat Recipe is ready to be enjoyed with pickle , papad and raita.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method:
- Follow the same steps and close the lid place a whistle and cook for 1 whistle on medium flame.
- Goda masala gives authentic taste to the dish, but you can use vangi bhaat masala powder, garam masala or pav bhaji masala for a variation.
- Goda Masala is readily available at Indian grocery stores or even amazon. In case you don't find, You can easily make at home with readily available ingredients in the pantry.
- Vegans can replace ghee with oil.
- I have skipped onion and garlic and made No Onion No garlic version of tendli masale bhaat. However you can add onions and garlic too.