Yellow Pumpkin Raita or Kaddu ka Raita is easy to make accompaniment made using grated pumpkin, yogurt, and few spices and it goes very well with Indian meals.
Growing up in India I only knew two varieties of pumpkin, the white pumpkin (English name: ash gourd, Kannada name: Buda kumbalakayi) and the orange pumpkin (English: Pumpkin, Kannada name: Sihi Kumbalakayi). Here in the USA, we can get the pumpkins already cut into small slices.
What is Raita?
Raitas are Indian style mildly spiced yogurt based dips made by adding fruits and vegetables in chilled beaten yogurt, you just need few spices to enhance the taste.Raita can be served as a side dish with meals along with Parathas and Biryani's or can have a bowl of thick raita when ever your hanger pangs hits you.
Normally, i would use plain yogurt but if you like raitas to be little thick and creamy, use plain Greek Yogurt. If you want it thinner, mix in a little cold water till you achieve the desired consistency.
Health Benefits of Yellow Pumpkin
- Highly Nutritious and Particularly Rich in Vitamin A
- High Antioxidant Content May Reduce Your Risk of Chronic Diseases
- Packs Vitamins That May Boost Immunity
- Nutrient Density and Low Calorie Count May Promote Weight Loss
- Contains Compounds That Promote Healthy Skin
- Potassium, Vitamin C and Fiber May Benefit Heart Health SOURCE:Healthline
More Raita recipes
Yellow Pumpkin Raita (Kaddu ka Raita)
- Place the grated pumpkin along with ¼ cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes until the pumpkin is completely tender.OR Cook grated pumpkin in an open pan with boiling water for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the pumpkin and let it cool.
- Whisk the yogurt or curd in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cooked pumpkin, roasted jeera powder ,red chili powder, chat masala powder, green chilli, coriander and salt. Taste at this stage to make sure the amount of salt and spices is enough.
- Serve chilled.
- If you like raitas to be little thick and creamy, use plain Greek Yogurt. If you want it thinner, mix in a little cold water till you achieve the desired consistency.
- Alternate method of making pumpkin raita is you can cut pumpkin into cubes ,boil for 4-5 minutes ,cool completely ,mash them and add to yogurt along with other spices.
- Additionally ,you can also add tempering of oil, mustard seed and curry leaves before serving.
- If the pumpkin is very fresh & tender ,you can skip cooking pumpkin and add grated pumpkin to the yogurt.
- If your pumpkin is bit sweet, you can add one more green chili to this too.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.