Looking for easy, healthy Vegetarian/Vegan Indian Chickpea (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) recipes to make in your Instant Pot or Stovetop? Here is my collection of 15+ best Vegetarian Chickpea Recipes from my blog. Vegan and gluten-free recipe.
Today, I am sharing my 15+ best easy chickpea recipes, from salads to sandwiches, to side dishes and mains that you can make for your next weeknight dinner.
What Are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas or chick pea, also known as garbanzo beans, belong to the Fabaceae family. They have been grown and eaten in Middle Eastern countries for thousands of years. It is also important in Indian cuisine and they have a lot of recipes with chickpeas.
These legumes are high in protein and fiber. Makes an excellent replacement for meat for people on a vegetarian and vegan diet. Other names for chickpeas are Bengal gram, garbanzo, garbanzo bean, and Egyptian pea.
Types of Chickpeas
There are different varieties of chickpeas available around the world, a few types are
- Kabuli: Bigger, light colored with a smooth appearence and are farmed in Africa, Europe and Mediterranean. They are easily available in American and Indian Grocery stores.
- Desi: Smaller, darker with a rough appearence and mostly farmed in India. They are also known as Kala Chana where 'Kala' means 'Black' and 'Chana' means 'Chickpea' in India. They are easily available in Indian Grocery stores
- Green: Regular chickpea harvested while young. They are fresh, greenish color, slight sweet taste. You can find them in Indian grocery store or farmers market during late spring or summer.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
- Chickpeas are rich in several vitamins, minerals and contain moderate calories.
- Chickpeas are excellent source of plant-based protein and fiber.
- It can help to lower the cholestrol.
A 1-cup (164-gram) serving of cooked chickpeas offers - (Source)
- Calories: 269
- Protein: 14.5 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbs: 45 grams
- Fiber: 12.5 grams
- Manganese: 74% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Folate (vitamin B9): 71% of the DV
- Copper: 64% of the DV
- Iron: 26% of the DV
- Zinc: 23% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 22% of the DV
- Magnesium: 19% of the DV
- Thiamine: 16% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
- Selenium: 11% of the DV
- Potassium: 10% of the DV
Check these Veggie Recipes Collections:
- Spinach Recipes (Palak recipes)
- Avocado Recipes
- Paneer Recipes (Cottage Cheese Recipes)
- Broccoli Recipes
- Cauliflower Recipes (Gobi Recipes)
- Beetroot Recipes
15+ Indian Vegetarian & Vegan Chickpea Recipes
Let’s look at the 15+ Vegetarian Chickpea (garbanzo) Recipes, which will offer you various options.
DID YOU MAKE ANY OF THESE 15+ INDIAN CHICKPEA RECIPES?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW THEY TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW? SO WE CAN SEE IT AND OTHERS CAN ENJOY IT TOO! THANK YOU ♥
15+ Indian Chickpea Recipes
I hope you found your favorite Indian Chickpea recipe to make. This recipe collection list is only bound to grow more and more, as I cook more interesting recipes. So make sure, to bookmark this page by clicking the heart icon ❤️ on the right-hand side.
OTHER RECIPE COLLECTIONS TO TRY FROM MY BLOG
- 60+ Kids Healthy Lunch Box Recipes
- 60+ Indian Keto Recipes
- 25+ Instant Pot Indian Rice Recipes
- 8 Healthy Toddler Indian Breakfast Ideas
- 8+ Phool Makhana(Lotus Seeds) Recipes
- 10+ Paratha Recipes|Indian FlatBread Recipes
- 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.