Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #39 – Mac & Cheese + Mint Makhana + Red Grapes
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Mac & Cheese – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for Instant pot Mac and Cheese.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 16 ounces Uncooked Elbow Macaroni (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth or water
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dry mustard powder (optional)
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sharp or Mild)
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Whole Milk (can also use heavy cream or evaporated milk)
Instant Pot Method:
- Add pasta to instant pot. Add water/broth, butter ,salt stir well to combine. Close instant pot lid and turn valve to SEALING position. Set on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) for 4 minutes(or half the time on the macaroni cooking directions).
- When time is up, do a QUICK RELEASE. Add the milk, cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper stir constantly until cheese is melted and everything is combined then serve immediately.
Note about measuring:This recipe calls for one 16 ounce box of dried elbow macaroni.This is equal to 4 cups dry measure. The 16 ounces is also equal to 453 grams or 1 pound.
What cheese to use for Macaroni and CheeseI have used combo of sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese for this recipe.Sharp cheddar is always the best cheese to start with for macaroni and cheese.But you can use just cheddar alone or feel free to use your family's favorite cheese combination.
Can you bake this?YES! You can just grease you baking dish and sprinkle some extra cheese on top of mac and cheese.This is a good way to repurpose leftover mac and cheese.
How long can I store?Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Use a combination of cheeses for the best taste. I used a mixture of sharp cheddar, mozzarella.
- I used regular whole milk.But if you not too worried about calories then you can also use 12 oz of evaporated milk (1.5 cups) or 1 cup of heavy whipping cream or ½ cup of whole milk and ½ cup of cream.
- You can also add small chunks of pineapple to make Hawaiian style pineapple mac and cheese.
- You can also some some broccoli to make it more healthy.
- The time to cook mac and cheese in Instant pot is usually half of the suggested time on the pasta box.
- Always stir in milk or cream, cheese etc after the pressure cooking cycle.
- You’ll need 4 cups of water for this recipe.For best flavor you can use vegetable broth.
SNACK – Mint Makhana – Here is the Recipe Link .
SNACK – Red Grapes – I always use organic grapes and wash them before packing in to the lunch box
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare mint(pudina) makhana previous day and can store in an airtight container upto 7 days.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.