Packing healthy lunchbox for kids is very challenging for every mom and this makhana paratha is a great way to incorporate makhanas in their diet.Once you try this recipe trust me you will not be able to say it has makhanas in them.It is sooper soft and yummy.Its great for adults lunchbox too.
You can also add some flaxseed powder/meal and chopped spinach or methi leavesin these parathas to make them even more healthier.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
Makhanas are popularly known as lotus seeds, fox nuts, Euryale ferox, gorgon nuts and phool makhana and are packed with the goodness of protein, potassium, phosphorus, carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, iron and zinc
KIDS LUNCH BOX #43 – Makhana Paratha + Potato Sagu + Mixed Nuts
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH – Makhana Paratha – Here is the detailed Recipe Link for the paratha.
Makhana Paratha(Lotus Seed Paratha)
Measuring cup (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- 1 heaped cup roasted makhana / foxnut/ lotus seed
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- ½ teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee to (cook parathas)
- water, to knead dough
- Heat ghee in a pan or kadai and add 1 cup of Makhana and dry roast them on very low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are crisp, keep stirring them in between so that Makhana doesnot burn.To check if they are roasted properly just take one Makhana in hand and crush it ,if it breaks nicely with a crunching sound that means they are done perfectly.Transfer to a mixer jar and grind it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl add wheat flour ,makhana(lotus seed) powder , red chilli powder, turmeric powder ,garam masala ,jeera powder ,coriander leaves ,oil and salt. Mix well.
- Add some water and keep kneading till you get the smooth dough. Dough should be tight and firm (not soft).
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 5 balls.
- Roll the parathas semi thick/ thin by dusting some dry flour
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- Serve Makhana paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
- To make it more healthy add 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder or meal while preparing the dough.
- You can also add chat masala powder and amchur powder
- Make sure to roast makhana’s correctly then its easier to blend it into powder.
- You can prepare makhana powder and store for atleast 7 days in an airtight container .
SNACK – Potato Sagu
SNACK – Mixed Nuts
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare makhana powder and store for atleast 7 days in an airtight container.
- You can prepare paratha dough previous night.
- You can also boil the potatoes previous night and refrigerate.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child’s appetite.