Spinach Corn Sandwich is a toasted/grilled sandwich recipe prepared with a creamy and cheesy filling made of spinach, sweet corn, flour, milk, and cheese. It is also flavored with garlic, pepper, Italian herbs, and red chili flakes. It is very easy to prepare and tastes better when served hot with tea or soup.
When I first tasted this sandwich in one of the Cafe Coffee Day in Bangalore, India. I wanted to try this cheesy spinach corn sandwich recipe at home and found the recipe on the internet and was able to personalize it according to my taste and preferences.
It’s a wholesome snack with loads of spinach, sweet corn kernels, cheese, and brown bread.
The spinach corn sandwich is one of my favorite lunch box recipes at our home and is also convenient for me to make in less time. I usually make the spinach corn sandwich mixture the previous night.
Why You'll Love this Spinach Corn Sandwich Recipe
- Ready in under 20 minutes.
- Easy and so delicious.
- Creamy and so cheesy.
- Make-ahead friendly filling.
- Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a snack.
- A great option for road trips, picnics, or school lunch boxes.
Spinach Corn Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
- Bread slices: Feel free to use any kind of bread, like white milk bread, brown bread, multigrain bread, or sourdough bread.
- Spinach: I used fresh baby spinach. You can also use frozen spinach.
- Sweet Corn: use fresh or frozen boiled sweet corn.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic gives the best flavor.
- All-purpose flour: is used to thicken the white sauce. You can also use wheat flour or cornstarch.
- Milk: Use chilled milk to avoid lumps in the sauce. You may also use almond milk or coconut milk if vegan.
- Cheese: I like to use shredded mozzarella (or Amul processed cheese). You may also use Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, or Gouda.
- Seasonings: italian seasoning, red chili flakes, freshly ground black pepper & salt.
- Butter: is used for toasting the sandwich. If you are vegan, replace it with vegan butter or olive oil.
How to Make Spinach Corn Sandwich
Prepare Sandwich Filling
Heat butter in a pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant.
Then add boiled sweet corn & spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until the leaves wilt.
Add all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour) and cook for a minute till the raw smell of the flour disappears.
Then, add the cold (chilled) milk and stir continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens, Approximately takes 3-4 minutes.
Then add cheese, red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper powder, salt, and stir to combine.
Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Spinach Corn Sandwich filling is ready!
Prepare the Sandwich
Spread creamy spinach corn mixture on one side of bread, and add some grated cheese (or cheese slice) on top.
Then, cover with another slice of bread.
Either toast or grill the sandwich with some butter on the Tawa or Sandwich maker.
Serve the toasted spinach corn cheese sandwich hot.
Serve Palak corn sandwich immediately with tomato ketchup or green chutney on the side.
- Breakfast or snack – With Masala Chai, Fruit Juice, or Milkshake.
- With Soup or Salad – Make a perfect meal when you pair it with your favorite Soup or Salad.
Tips & Variations
- Bread: Use any bread of your choice, like brown, multigrain bread, white, or sourdough.
- Cheese: Use shredded Mozzarella, Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Gouda, Amul processed cheese, or any cheese you like.
- Veggies: You can add vegetables of your choice like regular or spring onion, bell peppers, and carrots, to this sandwich filling.
- Milk: Always use chilled/cold milk so you won’t get any lumps while making the white sauce. If you are vegan, use almond milk or coconut milk.
- Flour: You can also replace all-purpose flour (maida) with wheat flour, cornflour, or almond flour.
- Make ahead: You can meal-prep spinach-corn cheese mixture and keep it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
- Vegan: use vegan cheese and butter.
Also check my Kids Lunch Box Series Posts
More Sweet Corn Recipes
More Sandwich Recipes
- Paneer bhurji sandwich
- Veg mayonnaise sandwich
- Beetroot Carrot Sandwich
- Curd/Yogurt Sandwich
- Fruit Sandwich
- Potato Sandwich
- Avocado Chutney Sandwich
If you’ve tried this spinach corn sandwich recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Spinach and Corn Sandwich Recipe
For Sandwich Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup boiled sweet corn
- 1 cup spinach (palak) (tightly packed), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (maida) (or wheat flour, corn starch)
- ½ cup milk chilled
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella (or processed cheese)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 bread slices
- shredded mozzarella (or cheese slice) as needed
- butter for toasting
Prepare Sandwich Filling:
- Heat butter in a pan on medium heat. Add minced garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant.
- Then add boiled sweet corn & spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes till the spinach leaves wilt.
- Add all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour) and cook for a minute till the raw smell of the flour disappears.
- Then add the cold (chilled) milk and stir continuously to avoid any lump formation. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens, Approximately takes 3-4 minutes.
- Then add cheese, red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper powder, salt, and stir to combine.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. Spinach Corn Sandwich filling is ready!
Prepare the Sandwich
- Spread creamy spinach corn mixture on one side of bread, and add some grated cheese (or cheese slice) on top.
- Then cover with another slice of bread.
- Either toast or grill the sandwich with some butter on the Tawa or Sandwich maker.
- The spinach corn cheese sandwich is ready to serve. Serve it hot with green chutney or ketchup.
Tips & Variations
- Use brown or multigrain bread for healthier choices.
- You can also replace maida (all-purpose flour) with wheat flour or cornflour.
- Toast the bread on tawa or use a sandwich maker or grill to golden and crisp.
- Always add chilled/cold milk so you won’t get any lumps of the flour.
- I have used only mozzarella cheese for this recipe but the combination of mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese can be used. If you do not have mozzarella cheese use processed cheese or grated paneer.
- You can also add onions while sauteing but this is completely optional.
- If you are vegan skip mozzarella or use vegan cheese. Replace butter with oil.
- Add more or less spinach or cheese according to your preference for this palak corn sandwich.
OTHER RECIPE COLLECTIONS TO TRY FROM MY BLOG