This Easy Indian Style Creamed Spinach curry is a deliciously easy side dish recipe made with fresh baby spinach, coconut milk, and few spices ready in 20 minutes. This creamed spinach is Keto friendly, gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, low carb.
This Indian Style Creamed Spinach is very similar to Palak Paneer, but without the paneer(cottage cheese). I have made this recipe dairy-free by using full-fat coconut milk but on using heavy cream or cream cheese the dish tastes more heavenly.
The consistency of the Creamed spinach can vary a lot. You can make it thicker or thinner cream sauce based on personal preference. I highly recommend not to use thin coconut milk as it will make the dish watery.
Healthy benefits of eating Spinach
Spinach has so many health benefits. It’s loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. It is not only high in iron but rich in vitamins A and C. Eating spinach may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, help prevent cancer, and reduce blood pressure levels. – Source Healthline
We love Spinach at home, I usually make Palak Paratha, Spinach Dal, Spinach Rice, Spinach Raita, or creamy spinach pasta at home. If you are looking for more such easy spinach recipes do check Palak Recipes List from my blog.
How to Make Indian Style Creamed Spinach
Boil water in a large pot and cook the spinach for 1-2 minutes. Drain it into a colander, rinse it with cool water, and squeeze out the extra water.
This step makes it easier to work with the spinach since there's so much volume/bulk before it cooks down.
Then I have finely chopped the blanched spinach. You can leave it as it is or even run it in a blender to get a smooth texture.
Heat oil in a pan/Kadai, add cumin seeds, let the cumin sizzle.
Then add onions, minced ginger, and garlic, green chili, and fry until onions turn light brown.
Next add diced tomato, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, and cook for 1-2 minutes till the tomatoes are mushy.
Add the blanched spinach and stir in the full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes. The sauce will thicken up as it cooks.
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and serve Indian creamed spinach curry hot with naan, rice, and onion slices.
Can be stored in airtight container for up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Can i use frozen spinach?
The frozen spinach works really well. Just thaw under running water, then squeeze out as much of the excess water as you can.
What to serve with?
This vegan creamed spinach curry is a side dish that acts as a perfect complement to various delicacies like naan, parotta, roti or jeera rice, ghee rice. You can also add chickpeas, paneer (cottage cheese), or tofu to this dish.
If you are on the Keto diet pair it with another side dish like cauliflower coconut curry, mushroom masala and serve it with keto naan, cauliflower rice. For more Keto Recipes, check out my Keto Indian Food Recipes collection.
More Vegan Curries
- Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Mushroom Masala
- Instant Pot Channa Masala
- Black Eye Pea Curry(Lobia curry)
- Beetroot & Chickpeas Stir Fry
Explore more Curry recipes for your next family gathering.
Indian Style Creamed Spinach
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt adjust to taste
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach (about 7-8 cups)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk Or heavy cream
- juice of half lime
- Boil water in a large pot and cook the spinach for 1-2 minutes. Drain it into a colander, rinse it with cool water, and squeeze out the extra water.This step makes it easier to work with the spinach since there’s so much volume/bulk before it cooks down.
- Then i have finely chopped the blanched spinach.You can leave as it is or even run it in a blender to get smooth texture.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai, Add cumin seeds, let the cumin sizzle.
- Then add onions, minced ginger and garlic, green chili and fry until onions turn light brown.
- Next add diced tomato ,turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and cook for 1-2 minutes till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the blanched spinach and stir in the full fat coconut milk or heavy cream on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.The sauce will thicken up as it cooks.
- Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and serve Creamed spinach hot with naan, rice and onion slices.