Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #26 - Beetroot Rice + Yogurt + Dates and Nut Ladoo + Cherries
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Mayonnaise Veggie Pasta + Strawberries + Peanut Chikki
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Beetroot Rice - Here is the detailed Beetroot Rice Recipe Link
Instant Pot Beetroot Rice (Beetroot Pulao)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup beetroot grated
- ½ cup green peas ( i used frozen)
- 3 green chili
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- few curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 cups water (depends on rice quality)
- 2 tablespoons oil
Instant Pot Method:
- Press SAUTE on Instant Pot. Add oil and once it's hot add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, curry leaves, cumin. Saute for 30 secs (till aromatic).
- Then add green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, and saute for another minute until the raw smell goes away.
- Then add sliced onions, Saute for 2-3 minutes until translucent - stir regularly.
- Add green peas, grated beetroot, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, biryani powder, or garam masala, and mix well.
- Then add rinsed basmati rice, water, salt, and give a stir.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to Sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps, Wait for natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid away from you, garnish with Cilantro and lime juice
- Beetroot Rice/Pulao in Instant pot pressure cooker is ready. Serve with Raita or yogurt.
Stovetop Pressure Cooker Method:
- Follow the same steps and close the lid place a whistle and cook for 2 whistle on medium flame.
Tips & Variations:
- If you are soaking rice before, then add 1.25 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- You can also add finely chopped beetroot instead of grated beetroot for this Beet Rice Pilaf.
- You can increase or decrease spice for this beet pulao.
- I added green peas along with the grated beets. You can also add potatoes, bell peppers, carrots.
SNACK - Yogurt - Pack this in a separate container with leak proof lid. Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
SNACK - Dates and Nut Ladoo - Also known as Khajur Ladu are very nutritious ladoo.
- 1 cup dates pitted and chopped (khajoor)
- 1 cup mixed nuts roughly chopped, I am using almonds and walnuts
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- Take 1 cup of seedless dates in a blender or food processor and blend into a coarse paste without adding any water. Keep aside.
- In a pan add 2 teaspoons of ghee, roast on low flame for 5 minutes or till nuts turn crunchy.
- Add in crushed dates, mix well and saute till the dates start releasing oil. May take 2-3 minutes to release oil.
- Turn off the flame and allow to cool for a minute or 5 and roll them into ladoos when they are warm.
- Dates and nuts ladoos can be stored in airtight container for a month or more.
- Soften the chopped dates in the microwave for 15-20 seconds if they are hard to blend.
2. You can use any other nuts like pistachios, cashew-nuts.
SNACK - Cherries - It's Cherries season again! they are full of antioxidants and have many more health benefits. My daughter loves them as well. Try to always pack seasonal and local fruits.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- Grate the beetroot the previous evening and refrigerate.
- You can also make these ladoo prior and store them for a month.
- Add a few teaspoons of milk to yogurt raita can help it not turn sour by lunchtime.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.