Broccoli Poriyal recipe is a simple stir fry prepared with broccoli, fresh coconut, and tempered with a few spices in Indian style and is keto, low carb, and vegan.
Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large flowering head and stalk are eaten as a vegetable. It is one of the world's healthiest foods.
This vegetable is a powerhouse of nutrients. It's reputed to benefit digestion, the cardiovascular system, and the immune system, and to have anti-inflammatory and even cancer-preventing properties.
Is Broccoli Keto Friendly vegetable?
Yes. The best types of vegetables for a ketogenic diet are high in nutrients and low in carbohydrates. These include broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, lettuce, cucumbers, and more. For example, a serving of broccoli (3 ounces raw) has 30 calories and 3 grams of net carbs.
What is Poriyal?
Poriyal, also known as thoran, is a South Indian coconut stir fry made with vegetables. You can also make this poriyal with cabbage, green beans, carrots, okra, and beets.
If you are on a Keto or Low Carb Diet. Check out Keto Indian Food Recipes Collection.
Broccoli Poriyal Recipe Ingredients
- Broccoli: I have used fresh organic broccoli. You may also use frozen once; cooking time will vary.
- Oil: use coconut oil for the best flavor.
- Mustard seeds & cumin: added for tempering.
- Green chili: I have used 2 Thai chili.
- Curry leaves: used for flavoring, dont skip it.
- Hing (Asafoetida): used for flavoring. You can also use gluten-free asafoetida.
- Onion: I have used finely chopped onions.
- Fresh coconut: use fresh shredded coconut for garnishing.
How to Make Broccoli Poriyal
Firstly, heat oil in a pan, temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and let it splutter for a few seconds. Next, add the green chilies, hing, curry leaves, and saute for another 30 seconds.
After a few seconds, add the chopped onion and saute till the onions are translucent and light brown. Takes appx 2 minutes.
Then add the broccoli, salt, and stir-fry on medium-low flame until soft and tender.
Turn off the gas and sprinkle fresh shredded coconut and combine well.
Serve the Indian-style Broccoli stir fry along with rice and rasam.
What to Serve with Broccoli Poriyal?
More Broccoli Recipes
- Potato Broccoli Sabzi
- Broccoli Paneer Bhurji
- Broccoli Besan Stir Fry
- Broccoli Spinach Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Paneer Broccoli Paratha
More Curry Recipes
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Lauki Ki Sabji
- Beetroot & Chickpeas Stir Fry
- Potato Peas Curry
- Mushroom Curry
- Rajma Masala
If you’ve tried this healthy broccoli stir fry with coconut recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Broccoli Poriyal Recipe (Broccoli Stir Fry with Fresh Coconut)
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan, temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and let it splutter for a few seconds.
- Next, add the green chilies, hing, curry leaves, and saute for another 30 seconds.
- After a few seconds, add the chopped onion and saute till the onions are translucent and light brown. Takes appx 2 minutes.
- Then add the broccoli, salt, and stir-fry on medium-low flame until soft and tender.
- Turn off the gas and sprinkle fresh shredded coconut and combine well.
- Serve the Indian-style Broccoli stir fry along with rice and rasam.
- You can also Stir-fry on high flame till they are 90% cooked and they have still little crispiness left.