Lemon Quinoa|Indian Style Lemon Quinoa is a South Indian style lemon rice made with quinoa. Quinoa is cooked and sautéed with onions and in a tempering of mustard seeds, lentils, curry leaves, turmeric.Fresh Lemon juice makes it slightly tangy which further enhances its taste and gives it a distinctive flavor. It is Vegan, Gluten Free.
WHAT IS QUINOA?
Quinoa, pronounced ‘keen-wa’ is a gluten-free, whole-grain carbohydrate, as well as a whole protein (meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids). There are two types of quinoa available: red and creamy white. They open up to release little white curls (like a tail) as they soften.Technically, the quinoa is actually a seed not a whole grain.
HOW TO SERVE LEMON QUINOA?
This tangy and flavorful lemon quinoa commonly served along with some pickle, papad or raita . A plain yogurt would also work or can be eaten as is without any add-on .
VARIATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE BEST LEMON QUINOA
- You can simply replace quinoa with millets to make another healthier option.
- Always add lemon juice after switching off the flame followed by a rough mix.
- Be careful about water to quinoa ratio since you want lemon quinoa with each grain separate and fluffier.
- If mango’s are in season then you can add 1/4 cup of grated raw mango during tempering, gives a nice twist to the this quinoa.Here is the recipe for Raw Mango Rice.
- You can also skip onions during sauting.
IF YOU LIKED THIS YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Dal Tadka – Dal prepared with split pigeon peas lentils ,assorted spices
- Green Lentil Soup – lentil soup made with green lentils, carrots, celery, red bell pepper and indian spices
- Spinach Dal / Palak Dal – Dhal cooked with spinach leaves
- Whole green moong dal– Dal cooked with whole mung beans
- Panchmel dal – dal prepared with five varieties of lentils
HOW TO MAKE LEMON QUINOA STEP BY STEP
ON STOVETOP IN A VESSEL:Cook the rinsed quinoa with 2 cup of water on medium low heat until cooked and let it cool a bit.
IN TRADITIONAL PRESSURE COOKER ON STOVE TOP:Pressure cook the rinsed quinoa with 1.5 cups of water for 2 whistles on medium low heat .Let the pressure release naturally.
IN INSTANT POT (ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER) :Pressure cook the rinsed quinoa with 1.25 cups of water on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK mode for 1 minute .Let the pressure release naturally.Check detailed recipe & video here.
To Make Lemon Quinoa:
In a kadai ,add oil once its hot ,add in the peanuts and fry them until they turn slight golden brown.Take out and keep them aside.
In the same kadai add mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal ,saute till dal turns light brown in color.Then add green chilles ,curry leaves ,hing and saute for few seconds.
Next add in the chopped onions, turmeric and saute till onions turn light brown in color.
Turn off the flame and add cooled quinoa, salt, juice of half lemon and mix everything well.
Garnish with Coriander leaves and roasted peanuts and serve hot with papad or pickle.
LEMON QUINOA|INDIAN STYLE LEMON QUINOA RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate
Lemon Quinoa|Indian Style Lemon Quinoa
measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chillies ,finely chopped
- a pinch hing (asafetida)
- 1 medium onion ,finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- juice of half lemon
- Cook the rinsed quinoa with 1 cup of water and let it cool a bit.
- Once cooled fluff it up nicely with a fork, so there are no lumps and the grains stay separate.
How to make Lemon Quinoa
- In a kadai ,add oil once its hot ,add in the peanuts and fry them until they turn slight golden brown.Take out and keep them aside.
- In the same kadai add mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal ,saute till dal turns light brown in color.Then add green chilles ,curry leaves ,hing and saute for few seconds.
- Next add in the chopped onions, turmeric and saute till onions turn light brown in color.
- Turn off the flame and add cooled quinoa, salt, juice of half lemon and mix everything well.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves and roasted peanuts and serve hot with papad or pickle.