Lemon rice is a simple tangy flavored South Indian rice recipe prepared with lemon juice, peanuts, and spices in an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Fresh Lemon juice enhances its taste and gives it a distinctive flavor. It is perfect for office lunch boxes and picnics. It takes less than 30 minutes to make this yummy Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Lemon Rice.
I am from Karnataka, South Indian State from India ,we call this lemon rice recipe as chitranna or nimbehannu chitranna .It is prepared during all festivals at our home and also for dinner or lunch menu as its so easy to prepare with few ingredients.You may also like this variation Raw Mango Rice from my blog.
Also, let me clarify this – this recipe is actually made with limes, at least in India. Limes have a stronger flavor, are more tart than lemons and therefore perfect for this recipe.
But lemons will work just as well. We are not going to differentiate between the two for this recipe.
WHAT KIND OF RICE IS BEST FOR LEMON RICE?
Traditionally lemon rice is cooked using sona masuri (short grain) rice in South India.However you can use basmati rice, brown rice and jasmine rice to make lemon rice.
VARIATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS:
- You can also add onions during sauting gives a nice flavor to lemon rice.
- If mango’s are in season then you can add 1/4 cup of grated raw mango during tempering, gives a nice twist to the rice.Here is the recipe for Raw Mango Rice.
- There are people who add little lemon zest to the lemon rice as well but I personally haven’t tried it anytime.
- You can simply replace rice with quinoa or millets to make more healthier option.
- Always add lemon juice after switching off the flame followed by a rough mix.
- Be careful about water to rice ratio since you want lemon rice with each grain separate and fluffier.
HOW TO SERVE LEMON RICE?
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIME JUICE AND LEMON JUICE?
Limes and lemons are from the same citrus fruit family, rich in vitamin C but different in color.
Lemons are yellow and big in size whereas, Limes are green and smaller
Limes are sourer than lemons as limes contain more citric acid and lemons have less of it.
CHECKOUT MY OTHER INSTANT POT RICE RECIPES
INSTANT POT LEMON RICE RECIPE CARD
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Instant Pot Lemon Rice – Pressure Cooker Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon split channa dal
- 1 teaspoon split urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger , minced
- 1 dry red chilli (optional)
- 2 green chilli , finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 pinches asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoon roasted cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro) , finely chopped
Instant Pot Method:
- Press saute mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee or oil and once it's hot chana dal and urad dal.Sauté them for about a minute until they are light brown in color.
- Next add mustard seeds, green chilies, red chilli ,curry leaves, asafoetida , ginger and turmeric powder. Stir and saute for 30 seconds till the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add rinsed rice, water, salt and give a stir .
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
- Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 5 minutes.When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release(QR) Manually.
- Remove lid away from you, Add roasted peanuts ,lemon juice and garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.Gently mix everything together.
- Lemon Rice is ready to be enjoyed with pickle , papad and raita.