Dhwani likes Avocados, I usually give her guacamole with chips or just cut it into cubes and sprinkle some salt n pepper. This week I packed for her lunch box with some soft healthy avocado chapatis/parathas with her another favorite beetroot kurma (I make it less spicy for her) and a few mini pretzels. You can also serve with some flavored raita with avocado parathas. Hope your kids will love, try and let me know!
In India, Avocados are known as Butter fruit but they are a little big in size. Avocados are high in healthy fats and are one of the world's healthiest foods. It is loaded with mono-saturated fatty acids which are good for a healthy heart. Besides, avocados are rich in potassium, fiber, antioxidants, and many vitamins like B, K, C, and E.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #11 - Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Flax Seeds Paratha + Rajma Masala + Apple
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Avocado Parathas - Avocado Paratha is an Indian Whole Wheat Flatbread prepared by kneading whole wheat flour and avocado pulp together with a few spices. It comes out very soft, requires less oil, and is healthy. It is perfect for breakfast or kids lunch box. Please find the Avocado Paratha detailed Recipe.
Avocado Paratha Recipe (Whole Wheat Indian Avocado Flatbread)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 medium ripened avocado (butterfruit) pulp comes to around ½ cup
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds) (optional)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee [to cook the parathas]
- salt to taste
- water to knead the dough
- Peel the avocado skin and cut it horizontally with a sharp knife carefully. Then, scoop out the pulp from it.
- Then mash the pulp using a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the spices - ajwain, red chili powder or black pepper powder, cumin seed powder, coriander leaves, and salt. Add lemon juice and mix well.*Don't skip adding lemon to avocados. Otherwise, the mixture will turn brown.
- Then add whole wheat flour. Mix well.
- Knead to a smooth dough, adding little water if required. Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get six balls. Take a ball and flatten it—dust with flour and roll into a big circle.
- Heat a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.
- Once you see bubbles, flip to the other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side until they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- The avocado paratha recipe is ready. Similarly, make the remaining parathas.Serve avocado chapati with curd, pickle, raita, ketchup, or any gravy of your choice.
Tips & Variations:
- If you are vegan, then skip ghee and use any cooking oil.
- You can also add some chopped mint and garam masala powder for extra flavor.
- Don't skip adding lemon to avocados, they will turn brown otherwise.
- You can also add finely chopped/pureed spinach or methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) for a healthier variation. If you are making for kids then you can even add some cheese.
How to pack paratha for lunch box?
- Do not pack hot paratha in a closed box. It will get soggy. Place the cooked paratha on a paper towel, apply ghee/butter. Let it cool a little. Then pack it along with the paper towel.I personally stopped wrapping parathas or roti in aluminium foil these days since its not considered healthy.
LUNCH - Beetroot Kurma - Beetroot kurma is an appetizing, spicy curry that you can use as a side dish for flatbreads, pooris, roti, chapati, or plain rice. I made it less spicy for my kid. Please find the Detailed Recipe Here. I have made this recipe in Instant Pot (Pressure cooker). I have also given details on how to make Kurma in an Indian pressure cooker in the same link above.
SNACK - Mini Pretzels - are a kind of snack loved by many kids. You can add any other snack that's available at your home.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare the dough at night and refrigerate it in an airtight container.
- Chop the beetroot the previous evening and refrigerate.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, and BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- For the soft chapati, it is important to cover the dough and set it aside for at least 20 minutes.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Thanks for the lovely recipes. Just wanted to know after making dough it turned bit black in spite of adding lemon juice also taste was little bitter of avocado. What could be the reason. I do follow your recipes and it really helps when I as not sure what to pack. Thank you for all your efforts. Have good day!
Bhavana Patil says
Hi Gouri, Thank you for trying my recipes, and glad they are helping you :).. I have made avocado paratha a number of times.. and I never saw it turning black immediately, However, it did turn black when I kept the leftover dough in the fridge. About the bitter taste, I somehow suspect because of the quality of avocado. I would highly suggest trying once more and see. Also, try adding a teaspoon of cooking oil to the avocado.