Dhwani likes Avocados,I usually give her guacamole with chips or just cut into cubes and sprinkle some salt n pepper.This week I packed for her lunch box with some soft healthy avocado chapatis/parathas with her another favorite beetroot kurma (I make it less spicy for her) and few mini pretzels.You can also serve with some flavored raita with avocado parathas.Hope your kids will love, try and let me know!
In India Avocados are known as Butter fruit but they are little big in size.Avocado are high in healthy fats and on of the worlds healthiest foods.It is loaded with mono-saturated fatty acids which are good for a healthy heart. Besides, avocados are rich in potassium, fiber, antioxidants and many vitamins like B, K, C and E.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #11 - Avocado Parathas + Beetroot Kurma + Mini Pretzels
Some kids school lunch box ideas to try…
- Spinach Corn Sandwich + Orange + Almonds & Pistachios
- Carrot Rice + Cucumber + Fruittellas
- Palak Chapati + Jeera Aloo + Orange
- Potato Spinach Pancakes + Sprouted Moong & Corn Salad+ Grapes
- Flax Seeds Paratha + Rajma Masala + Apple
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Avocado Parathas - Avocado Paratha is an Indian Whole Wheat Flatbread prepared by kneading whole wheat flour and avocado pulp together with few spices. It comes out very soft, requires less oil and healthy. It is perfect for breakfast or kids lunch box.Please find detailed Recipe here.
Avocado Paratha Recipe
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250ml
- 1 medium ripened avocado (butterfruit)[pulp comes to around ½ cup
- 1 cup whole wheat or multigrain flour
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carrom seeds) (optional)
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee [to cook the parathas]
- salt to taste
- water [to knead the dough]
- Peel the avocado skin and cut it horizontally with a sharp knife carefully. Scoop out the pulp from it.
- Mash the pulp using a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the spices - red chili powder or black pepper powder, cumin seed powder, and salt. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Add whole wheat flour and oil. Mix well.
- Knead to a smooth dough, adding little water if required.Cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Make balls from the dough. I was able to get 6 balls.
- Take a ball and flatten it. Dust with flour.Roll into a 2 mm thick circle.
- Heat up a tawa/skillet on medium heat and place the paratha and let it cook.
- Once you see bubbles ,flip on to other side drizzle some ghee or oil on top.
- Flip again and drizzle oil or ghee on the other side as well till they have nice golden spots on both sides.
- The avocado paratha is ready. Similarly, make remaining paratha.
- Serve avocado paratha with curd, pickle, raita ,ketchup or any gravy of your choice.
How to pack paratha for lunch box?
- Do not pack hot paratha in a closed box. It will get soggy. Place the cooked paratha on a paper towel, apply ghee/butter. Let it cool a little. Then pack it along with the paper towel.I personally stopped wrapping parathas or roti in aluminium foil these days since its not considered healthy.
LUNCH - Beetroot Kurma - Beetroot kurma is an appetizing, spicy curry that you can use as a side dish for flat breads, pooris, roti, chapati, or plain rice.I made it less spicy for my kid.Please find the Detailed Recipe Here.I have made this recipe in Instant Pot (Pressure cooker).I have also given details how to make Kurma in Indian pressure cooker in the same link above.
SNACK - Mini Pretzels - are kind of snacks loved by many kids.You can add any other snack thats available at your home.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- You can prepare dough in the night and refrigerate in a airtight container.
- Chop the beetroot previous evening and refrigerate.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and is easily available on Amazon .Do not use plastic lunch boxes to your kids, they are toxic.
- For the soft chapati, it is important to cover the dough and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.