Sev Puri (a.k.a Sev Batata Puri) is a popular Indian chaat dish recipe made with crispy papdis (or pooris), veggies, sweet and tangy chutneys, ground spices, thin sev, and fresh herbs. Perfect for parties as a tasty appetizer or a fun party dish with a burst of taste in every bite!
Indian cuisine is full of tangy, spicy, and delicious snacks. Each region in India has something unique to offer. And when it's about having chats, Delhi and Mumbai are unbeatable.
In this article, we will introduce you to a delicious tea-time/evening snack. This recipe hails from India's Maharashtra region. Curious about its name? It's known as Sev puri. Sev puri is a popular street food in Maharashtra. People of all age groups love it. Without further ado, let’s first learn what this dish is all about. Read below.
What Is Sev Puri?
Sev puri, also known as "sev batata puri" is a dish consisting of puri, a type of thin savory cookie (thin, round, deep-fried), topped with boiled potatoes, onions, tomatoes, spicy green and sweet tamarind chutney, spices and sev, a crunchy snack resembling noodles.
Sev Batata Puri Chaat Ingredients
You will need key ingredients to make a sev poori chaat recipe at home.
- Papdis: It is a thin, savory, crunchy wafer (or whole wheat crackers). It is easily available in Indian grocery stores. You can also make them at home.
- Boiled potatoes: I used yellow potatoes. You can boil potatoes using a pressure cooker.
- Vegetables: I used finely chopped onions, and tomatoes.
- Spices: Red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, and salt (or black salt) are the common seasonings for sev puri chaat.
- Sev: I used Thin sev (or nylon sev). You can buy a packet from the Indian store.
- Lime Juice: use freshly squeezed lime/lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Coriander Leaves: Add fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Chutneys: Traditionally, 3 types of chutneys are used to make sev puri.
- Coriander mint chutney: It is made from coriander (cilantro), mint, green chilies, and lemon juice. It adds a bright, refreshing, tangy, and spicy flavor.
- Tamarind date chutney: Also known as imli ki chutney or meethi chutney. It is made from tamarind, date, jaggery, and ginger powder. It adds a sweet and tangy taste.
- Garlic chili chutney: It adds spiciness with garlicky flavor. It is made from soaked Kashmiri red chilies, garlic, lemon juice, and salt.
Why You'll Love This Sev Puri Chaat
- Easy to make
- Spicy, Sweet, and Tangy
- Crowd-pleasing, favorite for all age groups.
- Perfect for special occasions like get-togethers, parties, potlucks or festivals.
How to Make Sev Puri Recipe
Arrange 6-7 papdis on a serving plate. Then, place the boiled potato cubes on each papdis.
Top up with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes over it.
Drizzle some garlic chili chutney, green chutney, and sweet tamarind chutney into each papdis.
Sprinkle spices like red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder, and salt on each papdis.
Generously sprinkle thin sev on top of each papdi. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, and drizzle a dash of lemon juice on each papdi.
Sev Puri Chaat is ready. Serve immediately.
Tips & Variations
- Prep Beforehand: Once all ingredients are ready, this dish comes together in minutes. So prepare ahead of time and assemble just before serving for the greatest taste, freshness, and experience.
- Use Crispy Papdi: Use fresh and crispy papdi for making Sev batata Puri. Papdis, go rancid very fast, even before their expiration date, so make sure to check them before using them.
- Use Homemade Chutneys: Homemade chutney will enhance the flavor of the snack, So avoid using store-bought chutneys if possible.
- Sev: Use fine nylon sev for topping the sev puri.
- Healthy: To make it healthier, you can add par-boiled or steamed sprouted green gram and also top it with pomegranate arils.
- Customize: There are no exact measurements for this recipe. Adjust the toppings, chutneys, and spices according to your taste preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
No! Sev puri is deep-fried. Any deep-fried meal should not be consumed if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
More Indian Chaat Recipes
- Pani Puri
- Dahi Batata Puri
- Bhel Puri
- Dahi Papdi Chaat
- Corn Bhel
- Avocado Pani Puri
- Makhana Bhel
- Boondi Bhel
- Chana Chaat
If you’ve tried this easy sev batata poori recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Sev Puri Recipe (Sev Batata Puri)
- 16 papdis
- 1 medium boiled potato boiled, cubed
- ¼ cup onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes finely chopped
- ¼ cup red garlic chutney
- ¼ cup green chutney
- ¼ cup sweet tamarind chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or black salt)
- ¾ cup nylon thin sev (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Arrange 6-7 papdis on a serving plate. Then, place the boiled potato cubes on each papdis.
- Top up with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes over it.
- Drizzle some garlic chili chutney, green chutney, and sweet tamarind chutney into each papdis.
- Sprinkle spices like red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder and salt on each papdis.
- Generously sprinkle thin sev on top of each papdi. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and finally drizzle a dash of lemon juice on each papdi.
- Sev Puri Chaat is ready. Serve immediately.