Dahi Puri is a delicious and popular Indian chaat food snack recipe with its exquisite medley of sweet, spicy, tangy, and crispy flavors. The crisp puris are generously filled with a tantalizing combination of veggies, chutneys, yogurt (curd), spices, and garnishes like thin sev and coriander.
India’s love for chaat needs no introduction. Every nook and cranny of the country is filled with many food stalls serving lip-smacking chaats. From aloo tikki, and aloo chaat to dahi bhalle, papdi chaat, and more, these treats are endless, leaving us spoilt for choices.
However, visiting India just to have a chat seems impossible for many of us. Isn’t it? So, worry not! We bring you a recipe that tastes as fine as India’s street-style chat stalls. This recipe is called dahi puri.
What Is Dahi Puri?
Dahi Puri, also known as "Dahi Poori" or "Dahi Batata Puri" or "Dahi Sev Puri" or "Dahi Phuchka", is a popular Indian street food snack where small crispy poori is filled with boiled and mashed potatoes, chopped onions, tomatoes, a mixture of tangy and sweet chutneys, yogurt, and some ground spices. It is then garnished with thin sev, coriander leaves, and pomegranate seeds. It is crispy, tangy, and, of course, all things delicious!
Dahi Batata Puri Ingredients
You will need a few key ingredients to make an authentic dahi puri chaat recipe at home.
- Puri: Also known as "Golgappa" or "Puchkas", are hollow fried semolina dough balls. It is available in Indian grocery stores. You can also make them at home.
- Vegetables: I used finely chopped onions, and tomatoes.
- Boiled potatoes: I used yellow potatoes. You can boil potatoes using a pressure cooker.
- Curd/Yogurt: I used fresh homemade yogurt. Do not use sour curd. Add some sugar and whisk it until smooth and creamy to get sweetened yogurt. Use cashew, coconut, or almond yogurt for vegan-friendly dahi puri chaat.
- Spices: Red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, and salt are the common seasonings for dahi batata sev puri chaat.
- Sev: Thin sev (or nylon sev) is used. You can buy a packet from the Indian store.
- Chutneys: Traditionally, 2 types of chutneys are used to make dahi puri chaat.
- Coriander mint chutney: It is made from coriander (cilantro), mint, green chilies, and lemon juice. It adds a bright, refreshing, tangy, and spicy flavor.
- Tamarind date chutney: Also known as imli ki chutney or meethi chutney. It is made from tamarind, date, jaggery, and ginger powder. It adds a sweet and tangy taste. You can prepare these chutneys ahead of time and refrigerate them. You can also buy these chutneys from an Indian grocery store.
- Extra Toppings: To make dahi puri chaat more delicious, you can garnish with thin nylon sev, fresh coriander, and pomegranate.
How to Make Dahi Puri?
Whisk yogurt with some sugar till smooth and creamy.
Arrange 6-7 puris on a serving plate.
Then, place boiled, cubed potatoes, on each puris.
Top up with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes over it.
Drizzle some green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney into each puris.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetened curd/yogurt over each poori.
Then sprinkle red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, and salt.
Lastly, sprinkle thin sev, garnish with coriander leaves, and pomegranate.
You can make the puris, chutneys, boiled potatoes, and sweetened homemade yogurt in advance. When you are ready to serve, assemble the puris with the toppings, chutneys, yogurt, and spices and serve immediately before they turn soggy.
Tips to Make Dahi Sev Batata Puri
- Serve Immediately: Please make sure to serve this dish as soon as you make it. Otherwise, the puris will get soggy and tasteless. They are best enjoyed crisp.
- Measurements: There are no exact measurements for this recipe. The toppings can be increased or decreased as per individual taste and preferences.
- Prep Beforehand: Make sure you assemble all the ingredients beforehand to make the job easier.
- Use Homemade Chutneys: Homemade chutneys are the best to use. These chutneys are fresh and will enhance the flavor of the dish. Click here to learn the recipe for coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Fresh Ingredients: Always use fresh and crispy puris. Puris, sev go rancid very fast, even before their expiration date, so make sure to check them before using.
- Other Stuffings: You can add other stuffings such as boiled chickpeas, moong sprouts, and boondi.
- Vegan: You can substitute dairy yogurt with non-dairy yogurt substitutes such as almond yogurt or coconut yogurt.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dahi Puri can be a healthier snack choice if eaten in moderation and made with balanced and mindful fillings, yogurt, and homemade chutneys. Puri is generally deep-fried. If you want to make it healthy, you can use an air fryer, too.
More Indian Chaat Recipes
- Pani Puri
- Bhel Puri
- Sev Puri
- Dahi Papdi Chaat
- Corn Bhel
- Avocado Pani Puri
- Makhana Bhel
- Boondi Bhel
- Aloo Tikki Chaat
If you’ve tried this easy dahi puri chaat recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Dahi Puri | Dahi Sev Batata Puri
For Sweetened Yogurt
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12-14 puris
- 1 medium potato boiled, cubed
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup tomato finely chopped
- ¼ cup green chutney
- ¼ cup sweet tamarind chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup nylon thin sev
- 2-3 tablespoons coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds optional
- Whisk yogurt with some sugar till smooth and creamy.
- Arrange 6-7 puris on a serving plate.
- Then, place boiled, cubed potatoes, on each puris.
- Top up with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes over it.
- Drizzle some green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney into each puris.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of sweetened curd/yogurt over each poori.
- Then sprinkle red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, and salt.
- Lastly, sprinkle thin sev, garnish with coriander leaves, and pomegranate. Serve immediately.