Peanut Sambar is also called Shenga Saaru in Kannada is a traditional Uttarkarnataka(North Karnataka) recipe made with peanuts and has no dal or lentils added to it. Tastes great when served hot with rice or ragi mudde.
I learned this Shenga Saaru recipe from my mom during her visit to USA.I grew up eating this saaru with rice but my family liked eating with Ragi Mudde.In this recipe roasted peanuts are ground to a paste and visually you can’t even tell what it is made of until you taste the dish.Its very easy & quick to make if you already have roasted peanuts handy at home.
Traditionally this sambar is not boiled and eaten cold.But i have seen different versions of peanut sambar in the internet where they boil the sambar but never tried those.
Gurellu pudi(Uchellu) is known as Niger seeds in English is optional in this recipe,But if you are from North Karnataka you will definitely know the taste it gives to the dish and i recommend not to skip it.
You can also try other Karnataka recipes like
- Girmit|Hubli-Dharward Style Girmit Recipe
- Nargis Mandakki |Davangere Special Puffed Rice
- Masala Puffed Rice|Spicy Garlic Puffed Rice
- Karnataka Style Mandakki Usli Recipe|Puffed Rice Upma
- Avarekalu Upma
- Tomato Slice Chaat
- Besan Masala Peanuts
- Jhunka Vadi
Shenga Saaru (Peanut Sambar) Recipe Card
★ DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe Card to rate!
Shenga Saaru (Peanut Sambar)
Measuring cup used 1 cup = 250 ml
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup roasted channa (putani)
- 1/2 cup onion,finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- small lemon size tamarind
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1.5 tablespoon sarin pudi
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon gurellu pudi (optional)
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 3-4 cups water
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves
- Dry roast peanuts till they have brown spots on their skin, keep aside.
- In the same pan take 1 teaspoon of oil ,add onion and fry till light brown in color and then add garlic and saute for 30 secs.Turn of the flame.
- In a blender add roasted peanut, roasted channa ,garlic, tamarind ,red chilli powder ,sambar/rasam powder and grind it with little water till smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Now prepare tempering, In a kadai add oil ,once hot add mustard seeds, jeera and let them splutter.Then add curry leaves ,onion saute till onions turn soft.Switch off the flame.
- To the tempering add grounded peanut paste ,turmeric powder ,gurellu pudi ,jaggery ,coriander leaves, water and salt.Mix well.Dont boil the sambar
- Peanut sambar is ready to serve with Ragi Mudde or Rice
Pin It For Later
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.