Today's lunch box is a very healthy variety made with pureed spinach, this protein-rich preparation is the best thing to have in breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Light and tasty, this spinach coin dosa is the best way to sneak greens into your food. I usually pack this lunch box when I have leftover dosa batter. Have also included protein-rich peanut chutney which goes well with this dosa.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, I am doing what is best for my kid to create a balanced lunch.
KIDS LUNCH BOX #10 - Spinach Coin Dosa + Peanut Chutney + Pineapple
Here is what I packed for school lunch…
LUNCH - Spinach Coin Dosa - This is a healthy, delicious, and simple way to make your kids eat veggies and greens. Coin Dosa are bite sized dosa and easy for your kids to eat and mess free.
Spinach Coin Dosa
Measuring cup (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup Idli/Dosa Batter
- ½ cup Spinach Puree (made from 2.5 cups of raw spinach) (i dint blanch palak in this recipe)
- 2 tablespoons carrot shredded, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee for roasting dosa
- Take 2.5 cups of spinach (palak) and blend in a mixer grinder with 2 tablespoon of water to make a fine paste and keep aside.
- Add the ground paste to 1 cup of of dosa batter and mix well.Adjust salt at this stage.
- Make sure the spinach paste is well incorporated.Make sure batter should be thick flowing consistency and not running.
- Now heat the tawa or the griddle and drop about 1 tablespoon of dosa batter each on the tawa to make coin sized dosa's. Also add shredded carrot at this stage as seen in the pic.I usually prepare 5 to 6 at a time.
- Add few drops of oil from the sides and in the center as well and let it cook for the minute.
- Then flip the dosa and allow it cook for a 1 minute or so.
- That’s it. Now remove the dosas and similarly prepare the coin dosa with the remaining batter.
- In this recipe, I dint blanch the spinach/palak but you can do it as well.
- Make sure your dosa batter should be a little thick, after adding spinach puree it may become more watery inconsistency.
- Make sure the dosa batter is not cold.
- I use ghee instead of oil for kids' lunch box.
- You can also add 1 green chili and 1 tablespoon of coriander leaves while grinding spinach to give more flavor.
- Instead of coin dosa, you can prepare regular dosa with this batter or uttapam with this batter as well. Note this batter can be used to make idly's as well.
SNACK - Peanut Chutney - check out my peanut chutney recipe from my blog.
SNACK - Pineapple I cut the pineapple into cubes and packed it into the box.
Prep Work For The Previous Evening
- The idly batter should be prepared the previous evening and set to ferment overnight.
- Dry roast the peanuts the previous evening and store them.
- Chop the pineapple into medium-sized chunks and refrigerate.
- Try to pack seasonal fruits into the box.
- Packed in a stainless steel tiffin box called Lunchbots which is Eco-Friendly, Dishwasher Safe, BPA-Free and easily available on Amazon. Do not use plastic lunch boxes for your kids, they are toxic.
- You can increase or decrease quantity based on your child's appetite.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for healthy & tasty video recipes.