This healthy High Protein Chickpea Cucumber Tomato Salad recipe is simple and ready in a few minutes, made with fresh vegetables, herbs, and a simple lime dressing. This chickpea salad is an excellent side dish and is Vegetarian + Vegan.
Salads like this one and my Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt Dressing are easy to whip up and don’t require any cooking, and come together in 15 minutes.
I also like adding avocado slices to this salad to make it healthier. Check my favorite Avocado Cucumber Salad from my blog.
For the weekly meal-prep, I usually cook chickpeas using the pressure cooker in big batches and then freeze the cooked chickpeas in 1.5-2 cups quantity and use them in recipes instead of canned chickpeas.
If you are using canned chickpeas, it takes only a few minutes to make this salad as there is no cooking.
If you love Lentils & Beans and are looking for more Instant Pot Indian Recipes? Here are my 22+ Instant Pot lentils & Beans Recipes you must try.
Why you'll love this Indian Chickpea Salad
- It's protein-packed, nut-free, vegetarian, and vegan/dairy-free.
- It’s super refreshing with fresh flavors.
- It fills you up – satisfying!
- It’s easy to make!
- It uses healthy ingredients!
- great for lunch, potlucks, and picnics.
Ingredients for Chickpea Salad Recipe
- Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans): You can use canned or cooked chickpeas. If using canned, then drain and rinse it. I have cooked the dried chickpeas using Instant Pot Chickpeas method.
- Cucumber: I prefer Persian cucumber or English cucumbers in salads. But, you can use any type of cucumber you have in hand.
- Tomatoes: I used de-seeded diced Roma tomatoes, but grape or cherry tomatoes work great too.
- Onion: red onion works best in salads, so that’s what I used.
- Herbs: I used cilantro (coriander leaves), but feel free to use dill leaves or parsley, or any other fresh herbs you have. Make sure to chop them just before using them for maximum freshness.
- Olive oil: Good quality extra virgin olive oil works best.
- Lime juice: I used the juice of half a lime. Feel free to increase or decrease according to your preference.
- Seasoning: salt, black pepper
How to Make Chickpea Cucumber Salad
Add chickpeas, cucumber, onions, tomatoes, and cilantro to a large bowl.
Then drizzle some olive oil, squeeze fresh lime juice, and add seasonings like salt and ground black pepper.
Toss everything well and serve chickpea cucumber tomato salad immediately.
What To Serve with Chickpeas Salad?
Meal Prep and Storage
- Make-Ahead: You can cook the chickpeas and prep the veggies and herbs the night before serving. When you are ready to serve, mix the salad ingredients with the dressing.
- Storage: Leftover chickpea salad will last in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days when stored in an airtight container or mason jar.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Cheese: Add baby mozzarella cheese just before serving. You may also use feta or cottage cheese.
- Make it Spicier: add freshly chopped jalapeño pepper or red chili flakes.
- Other Veggies: add hearty veggies of your choice like roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash, bell pepper, and lettuce.
- Other fresh herbs: Try fresh parsley, mint, or dill.
- Add some diced avocado. Avocado adds creaminess and healthy fats. Add it right before serving to prevent them from browning.
- Protein: Chickpeas can be substituted with other canned beans like black beans or white beans.
- Add nuts: Add toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts for some nice crunch.
- Oil-Free: make this oil-free chickpea salad by skipping oil to the dressing. It still tastes delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Chickpeas are great for weight loss, as they are loaded with fiber, and plant-based protein, which helps to keep you fuller longer and control appetite.
Yes, canned chickpeas are cooked and ready to eat. Make sure to drain and rinse them before adding them to the chickpea salad.
More Salad Recipes
- Lentil Salad
- Black Chickpea Salad
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Avocado Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Mango Black Bean Salad
- Boiled Peanut Salad
- Southwestern Salad with Avocado dressing
More Chickpea Recipes
- Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Chana Masala
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Beetroot Chickpea Stir Fry
- Chickpea Spinach Curry
- Chole/Chickpeas Biyani
- Chole Paratha
- Chana Chaat
If you’ve tried this healthy chickpea cucumber salad recipe or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas (about 15 oz)
- 1 cup persian cucumber cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup onions diced
- 1 cup tomato dee-seeded, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice of half lime
- black pepper & salt to taste
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas, cucumber, onions ,tomatoes, cilantro.
- Then drizzle some olive oil, squeeze fresh lime juice and add seasonings like salt and ground black pepper.
- Toss everything well and serve immediately.
- You can add hearty veggies of your choice like boiled sweet potatoes, bell pepper, avocado.
- You can also add some baby mozzarella cheese.
- You can also make this oil free salad by not adding oil for dressing.