Looking for vegetarian Indian Food Gluten-free recipes? Here are the best delicious 60+ gluten-free dishes from breakfast, appetizers, main dishes, and desserts that your family will love.
- What is Gluten? Who needs to avoid it?
- How do you Avoid Gluten in Indian food?
- Tips for Gluten-Free Eating
- 60+ Vegetarian Gluten-Free Indian Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
- Indian Masala Oats (Savory Oatmeal)
- Quinoa Upma Recipe
- Vegetable Paniyaram
- Paneer Uttapam Recipe
- Karnataka Style Mandakki Usli Recipe (Puffed Rice Upma)
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Sabudana Vada Recipe (Deep Fry, Air Fryer and Appe Pan)
- Air Fryer Tandoori Gobi
- Paneer Tikka - Air Fryer/ Oven/ Grill
- Tandoori Aloo - Air Fryer/ Oven/ Grill
- Spicy Bombay Potatoes - Instant Pot & Stovetop
- Spicy Masala Makhana Recipe
- Beetroot Tikki|Beetroot Cutlet
- Onion Pakoda - Air Fryer
- Spinach Corn Pakoda Recipe
- Poha Chivda Recipe
- Kachumber Salad Recipe
- Corn Pomegranate Kosambari
- Kakdi Koshimbir (Indian Cucumber Salad)
- Curries & Stir-fries
- Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala | Paneer Makhani
- Instant Pot Palak Paneer Recipe (Pressure Cooker)
- Tofu Bhurji Recipe
- Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
- Instant Pot Vegetable Kurma (Mix Veg Korma)
- Navratan Korma Recipe - Instant Pot & Stovetop
- Instant Pot Aloo Gobi
- Instant Pot Aloo Baingan Masala | Potato Eggplant Curry
- Instant Pot Potato Peas Curry (Aloo Matar)
- Potato Masala Recipe - Stovetop & Instant Pot
- Aloo Palak
- Mushroom Masala (Instant Pot & Stovetop)
- Lentils, Beans & Peas
- Instant Pot Dal Tadka (Restaurant Style)
- Instant Pot Moong Daal (Split Yellow Lentils Soup)
- Instant Pot Dal Makhani
- Whole Masoor Dal Recipe (Brown Lentils Curry)
- Whole Green Moong Dal
- Instant Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Instant Pot Chana Masala (Chole Masala Recipe in Pressure Cooker)
- Rajma Masala (Kidney Beans Curry) - Instant Pot
- Rice Recipes
- Easy Vegetable Pulao Recipe
- Tomato Rice Recipe - Instant Pot & Stovetop
- Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani Recipe
- Curd Rice Recipe (Thayir Saddam)
- Carrot Rice Recipe
- Instant Pot Peas Pulao (Matar Pulao)
- Instant Pot Jeera Rice (Indian Cumin Rice)
- Instant Pot Ven Pongal (Khara Pongal)
- Instant Pot Bisi bele bath
- Moong Dal Khichdi
- Onion Tomato Chutney (for Idli, Dosa)
- Coconut Chutney Recipe (Nariyal Chutney)
- Peanut Chutney Recipe
- Onion Tomato Raita
- Makhana Raita Recipe (Phool Makhana Raita)
- Instant pot Carrot Halwa - Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Rice Kheer/Pudding Recipe
- Badam Halwa using Almond flour - Instant Pot
- Besan Ladoo Recipe
- Instant Coconut ladoo Recipe
- Sweet Pongal (Sakkarai Pongal)
- Other Recipe Collections
- 60+ Best Gluten-Free Indian Recipes
Most of the recipes in Indian cuisine are naturally gluten-free that include gluten-free ingredients such as rice, millet, veggies, beans, and legumes like chickpeas and lentils. Heritage or ancient gluten-free grains include Bajra, Jowar, Ragi, Amaranth, and Rice.
Recipes with wheat, rye, barley, or food products cross-contaminated with gluten must be removed for a "Gluten Free Diet". Hing (Asafoetida) is one of the common spices which mostly has gluten, and is found in store-bought spice mixes in India. Hence its recommend to buy whole spices and make spice mixes at home to avoid cross-contamination.
These days, a lot of Indian restaurants carry specific gluten-free menus or have items labeled as gluten-free on their regular menu. If you do not see anything labeled as gluten-free, make sure to discuss it with the chef or waiter of the restaurant as a lot of Indian dishes are inherently gluten-free.
So here is the blog post with a collection of 60+ gluten-free Indian recipes that you will love. You can find 150+ gluten-free recipes on my blog.
What is Gluten? Who needs to avoid it?
Gluten is a naturally occurring protein largely found in grains like wheat, barley, and rye. It is common in foods such as bread, pasta, pizza, cakes, and cookies. Gluten makes the bread airy and chewy texture.
For people who have gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, eating gluten can have an immune reaction and cause serious health issues.
How do you Avoid Gluten in Indian food?
- Replace whole wheat flour (atta), with chickpea flour (besan), jowar flour, ragi flour, bajra flour, quinoa flour, almond flour, or coconut flour to make Indian breads like roti or chapati.
- Avoid using Hing (Asafoetida) or use gluten-free Asafoetida.
- Substitute semolina (sooji/rava) with gluten-free options like quinoa flakes, millet, rice, or tapioca pearls (sabudana).
- Use Gluten-free oats instead of regular oats. Oats themselves do not contain gluten but may be cross-contaminated while it is processed.
- To thicken curries, and sauces use arrowroot powder, cornstarch, or almond meal instead of all-purpose flour (maida).
Tips for Gluten-Free Eating
Here are a few examples of gluten-containing ingredients that may sneak in, when preparing an Indian dish.
- Spices: Indian spices are mostly gluten-free. Garam masala, curry powders, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder sitting in your pantry are naturally gluten-free. Just check the ingredients list on the spice packets to ensure they don't have any added "Wheat flour" or "Maltodextrin". A common spice called Hing (or Asafoetida) nearly always contains wheat flour. So use or buy gluten-free asafoetida (compounded asafoetida).
- Indian breads like Naan, Chapati, Poori, and more: Many Indian breads are made with whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (maida).
- Maida: Finely milled refined wheat flour is found in Indian fast food,sweets, breads, namkeens, cookies, cakes, and other items.
- Sooji (or Rava): Semolina is wheat-based and is often used to make batter for Indian dishes, upma, idli, ladoo.
- Vermicelli (or Semiya): Indian-style thin noodles made from wheat.
- Fried foods: Fried foods like cutlets, and koftas often contain breadcrumbs that contain gluten. Also, there is more risk for cross-contamination as they are cooked in the same oil, or fryer.
60+ Vegetarian Gluten-Free Indian Recipes
Let's have a look at the 60+ Easy Indian Vegetarian Gluten-Free Recipes.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
Indian Masala Oats (Savory Oatmeal)
Quinoa Upma Recipe
Paneer Uttapam Recipe
Karnataka Style Mandakki Usli Recipe (Puffed Rice Upma)
Appetizers and Snacks
Sabudana Vada Recipe (Deep Fry, Air Fryer and Appe Pan)
Air Fryer Tandoori Gobi
Paneer Tikka - Air Fryer/ Oven/ Grill
Tandoori Aloo - Air Fryer/ Oven/ Grill
Spicy Bombay Potatoes - Instant Pot & Stovetop
Spicy Masala Makhana Recipe
Beetroot Tikki|Beetroot Cutlet
Onion Pakoda - Air Fryer
Spinach Corn Pakoda Recipe
Poha Chivda Recipe
Kachumber Salad Recipe
Corn Pomegranate Kosambari
Kakdi Koshimbir (Indian Cucumber Salad)
Curries & Stir-fries
Restaurant Style Paneer Butter Masala | Paneer Makhani
Instant Pot Palak Paneer Recipe (Pressure Cooker)
Tofu Bhurji Recipe
Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
Instant Pot Vegetable Kurma (Mix Veg Korma)
Navratan Korma Recipe - Instant Pot & Stovetop
Instant Pot Aloo Gobi
Instant Pot Aloo Baingan Masala | Potato Eggplant Curry
Instant Pot Potato Peas Curry (Aloo Matar)
Potato Masala Recipe - Stovetop & Instant Pot
Mushroom Masala (Instant Pot & Stovetop)
Lentils, Beans & Peas
Instant Pot Dal Tadka (Restaurant Style)
Instant Pot Moong Daal (Split Yellow Lentils Soup)
Instant Pot Dal Makhani
Whole Masoor Dal Recipe (Brown Lentils Curry)
Whole Green Moong Dal
Instant Pot Chickpea Coconut Curry
Instant Pot Chana Masala (Chole Masala Recipe in Pressure Cooker)
Rajma Masala (Kidney Beans Curry) - Instant Pot
Easy Vegetable Pulao Recipe
Tomato Rice Recipe - Instant Pot & Stovetop
Instant Pot Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Curd Rice Recipe (Thayir Saddam)
Carrot Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Peas Pulao (Matar Pulao)
Instant Pot Jeera Rice (Indian Cumin Rice)
Instant Pot Ven Pongal (Khara Pongal)
Instant Pot Bisi bele bath
Moong Dal Khichdi
Chutneys, pickles (achaar), and raita, are the essential condiments in any Indian meal.
Onion Tomato Chutney (for Idli, Dosa)
Coconut Chutney Recipe (Nariyal Chutney)
Peanut Chutney Recipe
Onion Tomato Raita
Makhana Raita Recipe (Phool Makhana Raita)
Instant pot Carrot Halwa - Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Rice Kheer/Pudding Recipe
Badam Halwa using Almond flour - Instant Pot
Besan Ladoo Recipe
Instant Coconut ladoo Recipe
Sweet Pongal (Sakkarai Pongal)
I hope you found your favorite Indian Gluten-Free recipe to make for your next meal. This recipe collection list is only bound to grow more and more, as I cook more interesting recipes. So do make sure, to bookmark this page by clicking the heart icon ❤️ on the right-hand side.
Other Recipe Collections
- 40+ Indian Dinner Recipes
- 70+ Keto Indian Recipes
- 75+ Kids Lunch Box Recipes
- 25+ Instant Pot Indian Rice Recipes
- 18+ Instant Pot Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- 12+ Instant Pot Indian Dessert Recipes
- 15+ Paratha Recipes
- 10+ Easy & best Veg Sandwich Recipes Indian Style
If you’ve tried this healthy gluten-free Indian recipe collection or any other recipe on Indianveggiedelight, then don’t forget to rate the recipe. You can also follow me on Instagram and Facebook to see the latest recipes!
Leave a Reply